JB asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

what is so special about the Colosseum in Rome?

what is so special about the Colosseum in Rome? and please explain

• Spike
    Favorite Answer

The Colosseum, - sometimes, spelt as "Coliseum", - but, which was originally, called the Flavian Amphitheatre, - (from the Latin translation: "Amphitheatrum Flavium", or Italian, "Anfiteatro Flavio", or "Colosseo"), is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire. It is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and Roman engineering.

Occupying a site just east of the Roman Forum, its construction started between 70 and 72 AD., under the emperor Vespasian and was completed in 80 AD under Titus, with further modifications being made during Domitian's reign (81–96). The name "Amphitheatrum Flavium" derives from both Vespasian's and Titus's family name (Flavius, from the gens Flavia).

Capable of seating as many as 50,000 spectators, at any one time, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests - such as those, you may have seen, in motion pictures, like "BEN HUR", - and, - more RECENTLY, the Ridley Scott epic, "GLADIATOR", - and for huge public spectacles such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, public executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical Roman mythology. The building, however, actually, ceased to be used for entertainment purposes, at some point in the early medieval era.

It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Although in the 21st century it stays partially ruined because of damage caused by devastating earthquakes and stone-robbers, the Colosseum is an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome.

It is one of Rome's most popular tourist attractions and still has close connections with the Roman Catholic Church, as each Good Friday the Pope leads a torchlit "Way of the Cross" procession that starts in the area around the Colosseum.

The Colosseum is also depicted on the Italian version of the five-cent euro coin. I have SEEN these Euro coins, for myself, - a COUSIN of mine, brought me one, home, (as, I am a keen numismatist). Seeing it, for the first time, sent a shiver down my spine, I can tell you, - it retains a place of honour, in my collection, because, it SHOWS a picture of the Colosseum!

Source(s): I am, actually, a "TRADITIONALIST", - and, I have a huge penchant, for doing "HONOUR", to the generations, who have gone BEFORE me!!!!!!!!

It's old and there used to be a lot going on in it.

I've been there like 2-3 times and I don't feel like it's that special neither but some people like the idea of it having been used so long ago. Because it's like a link with the past I think.

• Arbie

It was once said that, if you took a handful of dirt from the floor of the arena, you could still squeeze blood out of it.

The Colosseum was the grandest sports pavilion in history Poirot to modern times. It was possible even to stage sea battles in it!

• mulvey

What Is Colosseum

• robin

You have to see it to know why, most of it is still standing and in it;s heyday must have been majestic, It is a thing of beauty.

That it's still here, it's an engineering marvel.