Showing vs. Working Dog Temperament?

This might be a stupid question...but its sooo quiet on Y/A today and I figure I'd ask.... Working breeds...seems that some breeders ONLY show their dogs. GSDs come to mind, where you have the working dog vs. the show dog and the noticeable differences between them. I'm guessing also that these... show more This might be a stupid question...but its sooo quiet on Y/A today and I figure I'd ask....

Working breeds...seems that some breeders ONLY show their dogs. GSDs come to mind, where you have the working dog vs. the show dog and the noticeable differences between them.

I'm guessing also that these differences are not only physical.

Lets say a big ol' NON dog professional...like myself...decides to purchase a well bred pup...as a pet..possibly some classes/activities..but nothing serious. The dog will not be shown or worked...

Would it matter which "side of the fence" you'd choose from? Working or Show?

Specifically myself and my father, who of course knows EVERYTHING..lol, were discussing the somewhat "rare" breed ...the Caucasian Shepherd. To summarize his view on this...working dogs should be bred FOR working....anyone that ONLY SHOWS that particular breed doesnt know wtf they are doing and no one in their right minds should buy a dog from them, b/c how can you truly evaluate a dog w/o having him/her do the specific job that it was bred to do...etc...etc...etc...
anywho..he got a little overheated on that ;)

bottom line...is temperament affected if you breed only show dogs...from generation to generation...??
Update: @Uhave2Be...Pomeranian sled teams are definitely NOT something I've ever heard off...

Daddy-o is of old school eastern european decent...lol..so his views are always extreme!