Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Good Science-Fiction books/famous Sci-fi Authors?

Pretty straight forward, just looking for an interesting novel to read that is sci-fi. :)

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is sci-fi and there is sci-fi! ;-) "Hard" science fiction is more techno oriented while "soft" science fiction is more character and social oriented.

You've already had some good suggestions. Let me make a couple of specifics:

Anything by Lois McMaster Bujold. Hers books are very character oriented while still being science fiction. She's an SF writer than non-SF readers will love as well. Her series about Cordelia and later her son Miles is just wonderful. Try the first Cordelia, Shards of Honor.

Anne McCaffrey: there are those who will argue that she writes fantasy. She begs to differ. Again, very character oriented. The Dragon Riders series has the trappings of fantasy: flying dragons, a vaguely medieval setting. The dragons are genetic constructs and the people descendants of colonists who have created a new society. You can start at any point as most are self contained stories, connected more by the planet and culture than characters, but you might start with Dragonriders. She has two other good series: Crystal Singer (start with that one) and The Ship Who Sang series. There are a couple of others, including the Barque Cats series but these are my old favorites, and Barque Cats is more YA.

I'm VERY surprised no one listed the classic SF novel Dune by Frank Herbert. It's wonderful. He's created a whole complex ecology and peopled it with fascinating characters. (Don't judge a book by its movie.)

Good luck, I hope you find something you like!

• 9 years ago

Ender's Game is an awesome read.

Favorite author's include Robert Heinlein (highly recommend the unabridged version Stranger in a Strange Land) and Ray Bradbury. Isaac Asimov is good.

Source(s): SciFi fan
  • 9 years ago

Most Philip k Dick books are well worth reading - try Eye in the Sky or Time out of Joint. Also Robert Silverberg , who has a nice prose style.

There are some sf books written by authors who usually wrote mainstream novels, e.g. 1984 , George Orwell, Brave New World, Aldous Huxley. These are good too.

• 9 years ago

Proto sci-fi authors like H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and Mary Shelley are easy reads and interesting.

The big three sci-fi authors are Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, and Robert Heinlein, so definitely check them out too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anne
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Ray Bradbury is good. Also Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. Frank Herbert.

• 9 years ago

Harry Harrison is good, The Stainless steel rat is funny.Terry Brooks, The Sword of Shannara series,David Gemmell, Legend series,Michael Morcock, the Count Brass series. There are a lot of good writers out there.l ,

Source(s): Iv'e read them all and hundreds more.
  • 9 years ago

Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke

Jules Verne, HG Wells, Conan Doyle

they are some of my fav writers fr s/f

• 9 years ago

If you are after something quirky try "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. I'm not sure if you would classify it purely as sci-fi but it is a lot of fun.

• 9 years ago

Add A.E. Van Vogt and Isaac Asimov to the all the previous lists. There are lots of early SF greats.

• 9 years ago

Ray Bradbury

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.