Zdragon asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 9 years ago

What muscles does swimming workout?

What muscles does lap swimming of freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly and backstroke workout? Please be specific and dont just say arms and legs. Say stuff like triceps and biceps etc.

10 points for best answer

Update:

Does it work your pectoral muscles as well?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

swimming in general works every muscle in your body except for your biceps.

- strong biceps dont help you swim at all if you're doing any of the four main strokes you listed above.

- abs are not worked a whole lot by swimming but they are very important in keeping good technique in the water.

- your calfs, quads, and hamstrings are worked from kicking regardless of whether it is freestyle, breast stroke, or butterfly kick as well as pushing off of walls

- The main upped body muscles in swimming are your lats (back), and shoulders

- The other upper body muscles that are still worked a lot, just not as much as the ones above are your triceps, forearms, traps, and pectorals

hope i helped you out

Source(s): was, and still am swimming competitively since I was six (i'm a freshman in college)
  • 9 years ago

Hi! I am a junior olympic swimmer and I train twice a day, so I know all about this question! Swimming works primarily the shoulders, triceps, arms, quads, hamstrings, and sometimes your core. Those are the primary muscles that are worked the hardest, but actually every muscle in your body is used during swimming, just not as much as the other ones. Hope I Helped!

Butterfly - Shoulders/Core

Backstroke - Shoulders/Triceps/Quads

Breastroke - Biceps/Triceps/Thighs/Core

Freestyle - Shoulders/Triceps/Forearms/Hamstrings

• 9 years ago

Hi,

I agree with the last person as swimming users most of your muscles. However if you look at most swimmers they have big shoulders, as swimming mostly uses your front and side deltoids.

Hope this helps

• 9 years ago

swimming will impact virtually all of your muscles from one extent to another. Biceps probably less than some others; e.g., deltoids, pectorals, trapezius, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteals, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Good morning ,

swimming is one of the most used ways to lose weight , keep fit and if you want to explore in this term i advice you to see a very interesting article about swimming : benefits and tips.

http://www.novelshape.com/swimming-workouts-benefi...

her we have all that we are searching for.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

mostly your legs im on the swim team and i noticed a dramatic difference in my thys and shoulders.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The staff there will make sure he gets a good fit for all the gear.

• 9 years ago

swimming works out everything in your body.

• UnSure
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

calves, quads, hamstrings, triceps, abs, thighs...every muscle in your body!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.