What is the name of the punctuation that looks like a dash, but longer?

"She tried not to hear it-tried not to listen to them-but it was impossible."

That's how it's used... but they're longer, and I have no idea how to make them on my keyboard.

Best Answer

It's called an em dash (or variations of that). You can type it by holding ALT and then entering "0151" on the numpad (the numbers on the side of your keyboard, you'd be surprised how many people don't know what a numpad is) and it'll come out like —. This only applies to Windows-based keyboards and the Windows OS. If you're on a Mac its Shift+Option+-. I had to look the Mac one up, so no guarantee's.

Source(s): http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/a... <- this site and my noggen

The Em dash.

On an apple it is shift, option and hyphen at the same time.

It is possible to write an em dash in a couple of ways on a pc. You can hit "space dash dash space", and wait for Autocorrect in MS Word to kick in. You can hit Ctrl-Alt-Number Pad Minus. You can hold down Alt and punch 0151 on the Number Pad, but it is ridiculously involved.

If you have a 'netbook' or laptop (with no number pad), the em dash is beyond the typist's reach at the moment, but if you find a way let me know.

• sarah

It's called an em dash.

On Word, if you just put two hyphens side-by-side, they will morph into one extended line. Two hyphens themselves (--) can also be substituted for an em dash. It can also be made by pressing the shift, option, and hyphen key at the same time (if you own a Mac).

The short dash is called an 'en' dash and the long one is called and 'em' dash. Usually the en dash is in the lower case and the em dash is above it so you use the shift key to access it.

doesn't exist. just dashes slashes underscores and smileys you can only use the long dash in word and stuff