treating sarcoptic mange MYSELF?

My dogs have sarcoptic mange. It took 4 weeks to convince any vet of this because they wanted to blame allergies and saw no mites in the skin scrape. Right, $2000 later my dogs STILL have sarcoptic mange and NO treatment. I ordered on my own this white sulfur. I want to also treat them with revolution though. It's such an easy treatment for this, my mind is boggled by the fact that no vet could just do this.

Anyway, I called my vet yesterday and asked this too. I'm tired of the vets and my dogs are suffering pretty bad and getting worse. My dog now has a hematoma in his other ear (his first hematoma was fixed with five drainings and steroid injections), he is BLEEDING my other dog has lesions on her stomach now.

I want to buy revolution and treat it myself immediately. But I don't know if I can because I just gave them frontline plus on Nov 1 AND my dog has a liver problem.

My vet was off today but he called me back. He said yes there could be problems, it's up to me I "could try it".

I'M SO ******* FRUSTRATED!!!! I DONT HAVE A DVM I CANT MAKE THESE DECISIONS WHAT IF I MAKE ONE THAT HURTS MY DOGS???????

This is the FOURTH vet. And I've been to 2 others in this area they're awful. This one is the best one but he leaves all the decisions up to me because he doesn't know what to do. I don't either!!!

So anyone with knowledge about this please, can I give revolution when I already gave frontline plus this month and I don't know. If you say ask a vet or go see a vet, you will automatically be blocked.

Thank you

to use revolution for a mange infestation, it has to be given every 2 weeks I read so it will be an overdose even without the frontline but that's the treatment

I already have mite bites on me but they aren't as bad as my dogs at all. but they're typical sarcoptic mange..on my knees, shoulders and had it on my ankles. they seem to go away on me in 2 weeks but i got them again.

One of my dogs (noncollie) was given the heartgard injection (not pill, it was a higher dose) and immediately she stopped itching for about 24 hrs, but then started again because my other dog wasn't given the shot

skin culture ruled out bacterial and fungal infections

allright no revolution. CRAP. the white sulfur should come tomorrow I had it 2 day delivery. i don't know if that will work now because I'm thinking, these mites burrow under the skin how is anyything topical going to work

I'm sorry I was upset when I wrote this

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

neem powder given daily will build the dogs immune system and neem oil can be use externally ( however not on lesions) http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-for-dogs.html

I am so sorry to hear about your dogs! We recently just adopted/rescued a dog from the South - We live in the Northeast. We just took her to the vet two days ago because she developed some lesions and was ferociously scratching. She was diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. Our vet said it is very typical in dogs from the South. He put her on an antibiotic called Cephalexin, which she needs to take two times per day for two weeks. She needs 2 more doses of Revolution over the next 4 weeks and Benedryl; two 25mg tablets every 8-12 hours. I'm not sure how large your dogs are, but our Weimaraner is 48 pounds (she's still a puppy). Perhaps the Benedryl will help your dogs with the itching.

While I've read that both Frontline & Revolution have been used to treat the infection, I wouldn't dare give both at the same time. I might try using the Benedryl for the itching and wait until it is safe to use the Revolution; 3 doses-one every two weeks.

Perhaps your vet will give you a script for the antibiotic - it seems pretty effective.

I hope this has helped you a bit and I hope your puppies will be feeling better soon.

The owner has to make the decision. All the vet can ethically and legally do is to provide you with one or several treatment options. As with your own health care, your doctor will provide you with treatment options. Unless you are a minor, court ordered, or deemed incompetent, you also have to make the decision for your own care. So therefore no one but you can decide what you can do. No one here cannot make this decision for you. I know it sucks but that's life. You can ask your vet what he would do if these were his dogs as to treatment. Some vets may give you an answer others may not. I too have been asked this question by clients and friends. It is hard for me to answer many times because these are not my pets.

As I said on your other questions, I know what I'd do if these were my dogs. However they are not mine. The decision is yours and yours alone.

Frontline has been used for sarcoptes but it isn't near as effective as revolution. I am not sure how revolution and frontline would interact so I would definitely not apply revolution without having you vet contact merial and pfizer to see how the two products would interact. Your vet would need to call the companies' vet help line for this information. Revolution is a prescription product in the US so it is not available over the counter like frontline.

You can use your sulfur topical but any long hair on your dog will need to be clipped to 1/4" or shorter so that the product can penetrate. The sulfur product will need to be left on the skin for 10-15 minutes before being rinsed off. This will give the product time to penetrate the burrows where the mites live. The dip will need to be repeated about every 5-7 days for up to eight weeks to insure that the mites and their eggs are killed. The whole dog will need to be dipped so make sure that you protect your dog's eyes from the product.

• ?

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axNXI

I have a cat that had sarcoptic mange...more common in dogs, but my cat also has a non specific immune disorder. My cat was treated with I think Ivermetrix, which is indicated for dogs. He recovered, but was under vet supervision, as dog medicine is usually not indicated for cats. Cats are very sensitive to all kinds of chemicals, meds, etc. My point being, no home remedies for cats.

Frontline Mange

I treated my dogs Demodectic mange with two doses of Ivermectin in tablet form.

Sarcoptic is a whole other ball field. Your dogs (as I'm sure you know) could die from it, as well as you catching it. Sarcoptic is NOT very easy to treat, as it can spread so easily.

Did they end up diagnosing them with this or is this just a hunch you have?

I would not give Revolution if you gave Frontline within the last two weeks.

Sweetie, Poodles Not Doodles is the ONLY one here who gave you GOOD advice.

The last poster should NOT be giving BAD information like that, PLEASE do NOT do those home remedies as that person suggests.

As PND said - You CANNOT self treat SM. It does take hard core treatment. It is not like Demodectic mange where a suppressed immune system has anything to do with it. It is much more serious. YOU can get it, too.

Howdy! Someone in my facebook group posted this question so I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting it to my followers!

i can only read directions and talk to my vet.

but i think it says to use for a month. so i would think it is over medicating the dog.

never knew of anything but to have vet test and treat mange

good luck with your searching.

Have your vet refer you to a canine internal medicine vet.