Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Do you think this accurately describes most atheists?

This is a quote from an ex-athiest.

"I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that? When I was an atheist, I attributed my intentions as caring for those poor, delusional people...to help them realize their hope was completely ill-founded. To be honest, I also had another motive. As I challenged those who believed in God, I was deeply curious to see if they could convince me otherwise. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God. If I could conclusively prove to believers that they were wrong, then the issue is off the table, and I would be free to go about my life"~Marilyn Adamson

She goes on to say: "I didn't realize that the reason the topic of God weighed so heavily on my mind, was because God was pressing the issue"...and goes on from there

This coincides with what I have noticed from most atheists. They seem fascinated with talking about God and how he doesnt exist. Thankfully many an atheist (as that woman did) come to realize the truth of Christ before its too late for them.

Brokeneye- Where did I say I got this quote from someone on here? I did not

Best Answer

No. Most of the atheists I know concern themselves with the topic of "God" because religious people's beliefs impact society, goverment, education, etc., in myriad negative ways, up to and including religious men flying planes into buildings, killing doctors, preventing measures that would help keep AIDS from spreading, pounding nails into children's heads because they believe them to be "witches", etc.

~Ex-Christian; agnostic atheist

*sigh* Look, no. I don't hold out some secret hope that someone's going to magically be able to convert me back to Christianity. I was already there, and I rejected the beliefs and ended up where I'm at. Why would I want to go back?

But as for why we talk about it so much:

1. It's interesting. I like discussing possible realities, and what could or might exist beyond the scope of human observation. I mean, I'm not a football player, but I find football interesting and like to talk about it. Why are we somehow not allowed to discuss the relative merits of religious teachings?

2. Being an atheist doesn't mean we're somehow automatically isolated from the rest of the world. Other people around us believe, and those beliefs do have an effect on how they treat others. Generally I don't care. But there's been a disturbing push lately to get Christian beliefs inserted into US legislation, at the expense of all other belief systems (other theistic systems included). It's because religious beliefs have real-world ramifications on the rest of us that we argue so vehemently against them.

3. I'm interested in finding out what's true, whatever that happens to be. Maybe you are right. Or maybe the Muslims are. Or the Hindus. Or the Pastafarians. But so far, no religion has produced any evidence that separates their beliefs as more real than the literally infinite number of alternative possibilities. So I'm going to keep trying to figure things out; if and when you've got some actual proof to illustrate the 'truth of Christ', feel free to share it. But the Bible has proven woefully inadequate thus far.

So no, despite your little fantasy, we're not all here just waiting for you to ride in on your white horse and save our poor, wretched souls. We don't believe because what you say is not believable.

• aceta

Anti atheism is doing lots injury to Christianity that it particularly is particularly anti Christianity – David Manley It takes particularly in basic terms one to make a quarrel. it particularly is ineffective for the sheep to bypass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, whilst the wolf maintains to be of a distinctive opinion. - William Ralph Inge. Why so unaware of what reasons the backlash against christianity? all the different religions and atheists stay in peace and are in basic terms attacked with tips from undesirable christians which reasons all stable christians to melancholy on the wear they do! Up till approximately 40 years decrease back Christianity became thriving and there became no conflict with others yet in in basic terms those few short years the fashionable christians have become illiberal, hate crammed, bigoted and persecuting ensuing in a becoming backlash against christianity and inflicting christianity to loose over ten % in below a decade with the loss accelerating! The self destruction of Christianity is underway and the only ingredient which could give up it particularly is to desert the adverse human thoughts, seek for to rediscover the belief of a loving god and act like it! chortle on the taking part in cards all you prefer yet once you're performed why not shed a tear for the wear they do to Christianity?!

I started out asking questions here because I genuinely wanted a reason to believe in Christianity. I wanted someone to explain it to me so it would make sense.

I've long given up on that. Now I'm just come here for entertainment when I can't think of any better way to waste time on the internet..

Not this atheist.

It is an important subject to me, because I feel that to not protest against the very real danger of the religious enacting public policy based on their delusions, would be to accept it as inevitable.

I will speak up, often, so that maybe, we can keep the path of reason open.

It sounds like the preface to a Lee Strobel book. As such, it is fail dipped in feces.

The reason most atheists talk about God is that believers aren't content just believing--they make it an issue that atheists and any other reasonable people have to address. Unless of course you think sex abuse in churches, corruption in the clergy, and the incessant interference in secular affairs on the part of religious organizations are things that atheists should not be concerned with as citizens.

No, but since we're doing sweeping generalizations, from what I've seen on YA it seems that most Christians would benefit from taking a creative writing class... And while they're at it ,biology,history etc...

Romans 14:11 (King James Version)

11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

R&S posts are by no means an accurate cross-section of the entire atheist demographic.

Clearly it impacted at least one.

My journey from that darkness centered more on the arrogance of atheism. Every time I visit R/S and see that arrogance, I am thankful God led me from the darkness.

Note the standard dogmatic answers above.