David asked in TravelAsia PacificThailand · 9 years ago

What percentage of women in Thailand are prostitutes/mistresses?

all you hear of Thailand here in the states is that there is just heaps of prostitution, sex,drugs, violence,murders and debauchery.

Is it true

Is Thailand actually like the rest of the world and its prositution/sex industry just a small minority?

Sex tourism is all you hear about Thailand and i fear it is now thought of as one big brothel

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ynot
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's less than one per cent. Many are too young, most are too old, and most of the rest are sufficiently well off not to need to.

All we hear of the USA here in Thailand is that there is just heaps of prostitution, sex, drugs, violence, murders and debauchery. It's probably not true but people do like to make generalisations.

Sex tourism was introduced to Thailand by the USA government. In the 1960's and 70's the USA used Thailand as a place for "off duty rest and relaxation" for its military forces fighting in Viet Nam and S E Asia. Once the industry became established and air travel became more affordable, successive Thai governments have simply allowed it to run its course

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Anywhere on this planet "bad" news travel faster than the good ones. Live here for 10 years (I'm a woman) and was never bothered by sex tourism,crime etc. Love this beautiful country and the friendly people.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

And the problem with this is what? - - who cares?

Murders are mostly limited to local feuds - whereas in the West they will kill you for a dime.

If you just look at the news, you get a very very warped picture - all I see of USA is joblessness and misery and aggressive invasions of other countries and war - -

make love not war - -

get over your hang ups

• Titan
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Actually, there is only one prostitute in Thailand. But, the fact is that she does go around quite a bit and to westerners, Thai people all look alike you see.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Prostitutes: less than 1%.

Misstress: Mia Noi's are big business. I would say 5% - 10%.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i imagine a very small minority. Here in Sydney we have a red light district called Kings Cross. That does not mean that all our women a hookers lol.

You are not offensive just ignorant

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.