student202003 asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Does anyone know what else I can do for sick puppy?

I've raised a lot of dogs, but I have no clue what to do. I have a really small puppy. She's 8 wks old and was fine yesterday eating and drinking. Today she hasn't walked, although she has wiggled. She has refused to eat or drink and can't seem to hold up her head. Seems really congested. Thought it was a cold earlier and regret not taking her to the vet before they closed. She seems so much thinner. She only weighs about 6 oz I would guess. She has been crying as if in pain. She doesn't have loose stools or vomiting - so I don't know what it might be. I've placed her in the bathroom with a vaporizer and force fed some gatorade, reconstituted milk, and nutra cal. I've placed a warm pad in there with her. I don't know what else to do with her. She had yellow mucus come out of her nose earlier after she had been around the vicks for a while and raised her head, but hasn't done that since. I'm so worried, I've had sick dogs before but never this fast and this bad. Anyone have any advice as to what else I can do for her until I can get her to the vet in the morning. I hope she makes it through the night, she is so small. She hasn't been around any other dogs. She was weened by the mother like a week and half ago, the mother didn't want her nursing anymore and started nipping at the puppies. Her brother and sister don't really seem to be affected. They are eating and drinking fine. I've separated them to be on the safe side. I feel like I'm not doing enough, but can't seem to think of anything else.

Best Answer

Ditto on calling an ER vet hospital immediately. Also, it sounds like congestion/pneumonia which she will need an antibiotic for.

Edit: I just read that you have a vaporizer and that's great. But really I think you will lose her if you don't take her in.

If you're short on cash (and I've been there, too) get CareCredit or Citibank.

Did you worm them at 6 weeks with a prescrip allwormer and then again in 2 weeks? Worms severely debilitate small puppies.

Oh, and don't forget the "magic" of touch. You can use your finger tips to massage along her spine. There is also something I've used to ease the muscle pain associated with respiratory infections. It's called Absorbine Veterinary Liniment. It's for equines, but I started using it on myself when I had pneumonia as a 20 year old. We were too poor to take me to the hospital and I hadn't slept in 3 days (I also have asthma and was so congested I was blue from the lack of oxygen). I told my OH to go out to the shed and get it out of desperation. He did, rubbed it on my back and I could breathe easy enough then to finally fall asleep. I know you can't get any this time of night, but they do make human strength which would be better for a puppy anyway, and it used to be available in pharmacies (Walgreen's maybe).

Just my two cents worth.

I'm so sorry for your little pup.

Call an emergency vet now. Tell them all these symptoms and what you can do. Don't wait for any other advise call a professional and get them the help they so desperately need.

I defintely do not like this variant of Judas Rabbi, who's absolutely no longer the truly one. I do not know why humans need to motel to such extremes to attract concentration to themselves. Is the pony whisperer that determined for whatever that appears like a existence?

Call the vet now they should have an emergency line.