Standard Oil Co v United States?

I am in charge of presenting this case to my AP US history class. I was thinking of doing it in the form of a skit. Any ideas on how I could make this case easy to understand in skit form?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The case was about Monopolies and a skit utilizing a Monopoly board and people in costume representing the USA (Uncle Sam) the Standard Oil company ( Scrooge ) and use your Imagination from there.

The Ongoing Debate of Monopolies

The individual companies resulting from the break-up of Standard Oil included such major gasoline suppliers as Exxon, Amoco, Mobil, Chevron, and Standard of California. Another trust broken up by a Supreme Court decision in 1911 was the American Tobacco Company. The decisions affirmed (supported) the federal government's role to oversee marketplace economics by determining when trusts restrict competition and restrain trade.

Ironically, although the decision went against Standard Oil, the rule of reason actually opened the door in following years for other large corporate

TRUSTBUSTING IN THE LATE TWENTIETH CENTURY

Public concern over trusts mounted again following World War II (1939–1945). From the 1950's into the 1970's, the federal government aggressively pursued the issue of powerful trusts. An example was the Federal Trade Commission's successful efforts at decreasing the Xerox Company's control of the photocopy industry. Trustbusting in the 1980's and 1990's shifted focus to policing bad conduct of companies rather than actually breaking up monopolies. Some notable trustbusting, however, included the break-up of American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T). Charged with restricting competition in long-distance telephone service and production of telecommunications equipment, AT&T lost control over Western Electric, the manufacturing part of the company, and various regional telephone companies.

Opposed to government restriction of business activities, President Ronald Reagan (1981–1989) reduced trustbusting efforts as a historic wave of corporate mergers occurred in the mid-1980's. By 1990 the tide again shifted. States began to increasingly address monopolistic mergers and soon federal interest grew again in examining competitive practices. President Bill Clinton (1993–) once again increased federal antitrust efforts as thirty-three lawsuits were filed in 1994. The most important antitrust case of the 1990's involved the computer software company, Microsoft, accused of various monopolistic activities. As another wave of mergers once again swept the United States in the late 1990s, the age-old question still lingered, does government have a legal right to limit commercial power. The American public continued holding conflicting attitudes over business combinations as it had since the nineteenth century.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.