Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

is my french translation correct?

Jane Doe is my friend. She is a terrible student. She sleeps all the time. She does not do her homework. She never helps anyone. She is very greedy. She yells at her teachers, her friends, and her parents. She snores when she sleeps. She does not clean her room. She litters. She is not very nice.

Jane Doe est ma copaine. elle est une etudiant terrible. Elle dort tout le temps. Elle ne fait pas ses devoirs. She never helps anyone. Elle est cupide. Elle crie beaucoup après ses profs, amis, et parents. elle ronfle quand elle dort. Elle lance les fumiers par terre. Elle n'est pas symapthique.

I need help in the grammar...does the wording make sense and one translation help

Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Orla
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

«Jane Doe est ma copine. elle est étudiante (1) et plutôt insupportable. Elle dort tout le temps. Elle ne fait pas ses devoirs. Elle n'aide jamais personne. Elle est très cupide (*). Elle crie beaucoup sur ses profs, ses amis, et ses parents (2). Elle ronfle quand elle dort (3). Elle ne range/nettoie pas sa chambre. Elle jette ses détritus par terre (4). Elle n'est pas très sympathique (5).»

_________

Correction:

(1) "To be a student" → «être étudiant(e).» I changed a bit your sentence as it sounded like a terror such as the Huns! You can also say: «elle n'est pas très agréable.» → "She's not very pleasant."

(*) Cupide is an adjective that is not so much in used today, alas. I fear the level of French is falling down a bit. However it is correct and highly formal. Well done for the research!

(2) "She yells at her teachers." → «Crier sur ses profs.» The preposition change but it is not après. The sound of her voice when she yells is louder than her teachers, hence the preposition sur (or on in English).

(3) Don't forget the capital when you start a sentence! I know it is a typo, but the teacher could see it too.

(4) "To litter" → «Jeter des détritus par terre.» Unless the person littering is littering big bags of bin, then swap détritus by ordures. (Trash). «Fumier» is "compost" in English. That sentence was very funny indeed!

(5) You forgot to translate "very" → «très.»

I advice you two free sites to progress in French:

http://www.french.about.com http://www.openculture.com/freelanguagelessons (scroll down to see French: it provides free French Itunes podcasts).

Source(s): French native speaker and bilingual.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Your translation is not bad but there are some mistakes in it, I will correct them. I would also advise you to use more connectors and conjunctions; here we have a set of sentences that are "piled up" and it's not pleasant to read the text. So try to bind the sentences using connectors that explain the logical link between them.

My translation:

Jane Doe est ma copine. Elle est une étudiante médiocre ("terrible" exists also in French but you wouldn't use it with the meaning of "being bad at something"). Elle dort tout le temps et ne fait pas ses devoirs. Elle n'aide jamais les autres, elle est cupide et crie beaucoup sur ses professeurs, amis et parents. Elle ronfle quand elle dort, ne range pas sa chambre, elle jette des déchets à terre. Elle n'est pas sympathique non plus.

Source(s): Holder of a master degree in the Linguistics field
  • Lia
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Jane Doe est ma copine( or amie). Elle est une terrible étudiante. Elle dort tout le temps. Elle ne fait pas ses devoirs. Elle n'aide jamais personne. Elle est très cupide. Elle crie après ses professeurs, ses amis et ses parents. Elle ronfle quand elle dort. Elle ne nettoie pas sa chambre et lance les déchets par terre ( litters). Elle n'est pas très sympathique.

good luck

Source(s): french native
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Jane Doe est mon ami. Elle est étudiante terrible. Elle dort tout le temps. Elle ne fait pas ses devoirs. Elle permet jamais à personne. Elle est très gourmand. Elle hurle à ses professeurs, ses amis et ses parents. Elle ronfle quand elle dort. Elle ne nettoie pas sa chambre. Elle portées. Elle n'est pas très agréable.

Im sorry i didn't put easier words, maybe these arent the proper words you use, but this is an accurate 100% translation.

I hope it helps!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Jane Doe est ma copine. Elle est une terrible etudiante. Elle dort tous le temps. Elle ne fait pas des devoirs. Elle n'aide personne.

Source(s): French level 5. At an IB school.
  • 9 years ago

Jane Doe est mon amie**

professeur**

Elle lance les fumiers par terre <-- i have nooooo idea what you are trying to say.

Elle n'aide pas" personnes ( she never helps anyone )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.