how old do you have to be to be emancipated from parents in state of alabama?

2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    ALABAMA: In Alabama, the age of majority is nineteen. The Alabama code describing the emancipation procedure is designed to expand the rights of minors over the age of 18 but under the age of majority. Parents can file an emancipation petition with the court or the minor seeking emancipation can file the petition if that minor has no parents or if a living parent is insane or has abandoned the minor. The court will then decide if a decree of emancipation is in the "interest of such minor."

    Generally, the statutory age in which a minor can petition a court for emancipation is at least sixteen years or older but below the age of majority (which among the vast majority of states is eighteen years of age). California allows a minor of the age of fourteen to petition its courts for emancipation.

    Minors petitioning their state courts for emancipation from their parents' care and control are normally required to prove their age and that they are residents of the state where the petition is being filed. They must tell the court why they seek emancipation. Parents must be given notice of the proceeding. Also, the minors must show the court that they are of sufficient maturity to care for themselves. This means that they are able to support themselves financially, provide for their own shelter, and make decisions on their own behalf. Some states require that the minors already support themselves and live totally or partially on their own. Most statutes exclude state financial support or "general assistance" when determining minors' ability to support themselves.

    The court then looks at all the EVIDENCE in order to determine whether emancipation is in the minor's best interest. Also, since an order for emancipation must be in the minor's best interest, if the minor's situation changes, such an order may be rescinded by the court and the minor declared to be returned to the parents' care and control. The state of Illinois allows for court decrees of "partial" emancipation, where the court clearly states the limits of emancipation, if such an order is in the best interests of the minor.

    States with no statutory provision or procedures for minors to apply for emancipation may still determine or confirm that minors have been emancipated. Minors file a petition with the court and provide the information necessary (such as proof of financial independence, adequate housing arrangements, and sufficient maturity) for the court to determine that such a confirmation of emancipation from parental care and control is in the best interests of the minor.

    Criteria for determining whether a DECREE declaring emancipation is in the minor's best interest vary among the states. However, certain criteria can commonly be found:

    * The minors' ability to support themselves financially, either currently or in the future

    * The minors are currently living apart from their parents or have made adequate arrangements for future housing

    * The minors can adequately make decisions for themselves

    * The minors are attending school or have already received a diploma

    * The minors exhibit sufficient maturity to function as adults

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    idk but only about a measly 1% in the entire nation get emancipated so good luck with that.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.