Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

What exactly IS Michael Myers?

He never seems to just...you know...die.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Zholla
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A common characterization is that Michael Myers is evil. John Carpenter has described the character as "almost a supernatural force - a force of nature. An evil force that's loose," a force that is "unkillable"... Professor Nicholas Rogers elaborates, "Myers is depicted as a mythic, elusive bogeyman, one of superhuman strength who cannot be killed by bullets, stab wounds, or fire." Carpenter's inspiration for the "evil" that Michael would embody came when he was in college. While on a class trip at a mental institution in Kentucky, Carpenter visited "the most serious, mentally ill patients". Among those patients was a young boy around twelve to thirteen years-old. The boy gave this "schizophrenic stare", "a real evil stare", which Carpenter found "unsettling", "creepy", and "completely insane". Carpenter's experience would inspire the characterization Loomis would give of Michael to Sheriff Brackett in the original film. Debra Hill has stated the scene where Michael kills the Wallace's German Shepherd was done to illustrate how he is "really evil and deadly".

The ending scene of Michael being shot six times, and then disappearing from the ground outside the house, was meant to terrify the imagination of the audience. Carpenter tried to keep the audience guessing as to who Michael Myers really is—he is gone, and everywhere at the same time; he is more than human; he may be supernatural, and no one knows how he got that way. To Carpenter, keeping the audience guessing was better than explaining away the character with "he's cursed by some..." For Josh Hartnett, who portrayed John Tate in Halloween H20, "it's that abstract, it's easier for me to be afraid of it. You know, someone who just kind of appears and, you know [Mimics stabbing noise from Psycho] instead of an actual human who you think you can talk to. And no remorse, it's got no feelings, that's the most frightening, definitely." Richard Schickel, film critic for TIME, felt Michael was "irrational" and "really angry about something", having what Schickel referred to as "a kind of primitive, obsessed intelligence". Schickel considered this the "definition of a good monster", by making the character appear "less than human", but having enough intelligence "to be dangerous".

Myers is a "product of normal surburbia - all the repressed emotion of fake Norman Rockwell smiles". Michael Myers spent fifteen years "attuning himself to this force to the point where he is, as Loomis says, 'pure evil'"...all the years he was in the asylum.

Nightdance artist Tim Seeley describes the character's personality in John Carpenter's 1978 film as "a void", which allows the character to be more open to interpretation than the later sequels alloted him. He surmises that Michael embodies a part of everyone; a part people are afraid will one day "snap and knife someone", which lends to the fear that Michael creates on screen.

A study was conducted by California State University's Media Psychology Lab, on the psychological appeal of movie monsters—Vampires, Freddy Krueger, Frankenstein's monster, Jason Voorhees, Godzilla, Chucky, Hannibal Lecter, King Kong, The Alien, and the shark from Jaws—which surveyed 1,166 people nationwide (United States), with ages ranging from 16 to 91. It was published in the Journal of Media Psychology. In the survey, Michael was considered to be the "embodiment of pure evil"; when compared to the other characters, Michael Myers was rated the highest. Michael was characterized lending to the understanding of insanity, being ranked second to Hannibal Lecter in this category; he also placed first as the character who shows audiences the "dark side of human nature". He was rated second in the category "monster enjoys killing" by the participants, and believed to have "superhuman strength". Michael was rated highest among the characters in the "monster is an outcast" category.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Michael Myers is a legend a force to be reckoned with If you will, he can't die he's evil himself

• 9 years ago

He certainly is one heck of a tail kicking machine....but in the newest Halloween series it does appear that he was in fact killed...he was shot in the upper neck and stabbed in the face and eyes over and over again by his sister so im pretty sure he aint coming back from that.

And seeing how the cops were there to verify his death i think he may actually be dead now.

• 9 years ago

My honest opinion? I believe he is just a figment of the imagination, not real at all. i believe that someone else has been killing the people in the movie, or it was all just a bad dream. i bet, if they ever make another movie, it will be little Mike waking up in his bed, crying and screaming. NOW THAT would make a good ending to a series. And maybe if he jumped out of his window and died, that would be cool too (:

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

In Halloween 6 Producers Cut we find that he is under the Curse of Thorn thanks to an ancient Druid Cult and he the Thorn Curse keeps him alive until he fulfills the curse of killing off his bloodline. The Power is only active on the night of Halloween (Samhain)

• 9 years ago

At the end of the first movie Jamie Lee Curtis asks Donald Pleasence who Michael is. He says, "He's the boogieman."

• meL
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Dr. Loomis says it several times throughout the series.. He is just plain, evil.

• 9 years ago

He's Evil personified, I mean Loomis shot him six times, he shot him six times. He's not human. He has the devils eyes.

• 9 years ago

i thikn he sold his soule to the devil in one of the movies and hes always back for revenge just like jason voorhies. or freddy kruger.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

lmfao! thats what ive always wondered....i think he's wearing a bullet proof vest or his skin is made of steel

or they are shooting him with air soft bullets

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.