Pascal asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Roman Polanski question! What makes him unique?

I have watched a couple of Polanski's films but I can't seem to figure out what makes different from other directors. What are the characteristic traits in his films? What kind of shots does he use? What are his directorial techniques? What are his sound techniques? What kind of editing does he use? What themes does he use in his films? What makes him unique? What kind of characters does he use? What's his style? What is he know for and etc.? Please help! Best answers will get rewarded!

Favorite Answer

He is somewhat of a Bohemian Director. He uses film to express Art, rather than a mere means of entertaining. It's not unlike a Wagnerian symphony or a Van Gogh painting. Dark, sometimes mood-nulling. To view a Roman Polanski film, you must not expect to enjoy it (obviously if you do enjoy it, so much the better) but he is not trying to win you over. He makes film for himself, and if someone else gets anything out of it, great. If not, oh well. My top 5 selections, if you're interested:

1. Dance of the Vampires (also known as The fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon me, but your teeth are in my neck)

2. Rosemary's Baby

3. Repulsion

4. The Pianist

5. Ghost Writer

He's known for raping a 13 yr. old girl in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Why he directed the pianist so good was beacuse it was personal for him because he was there when it happened.

just go to: www.IMDb.com and search for him, and there u can read about him, also wikipedia.