If I drop a class, will i have to repay my pell grant?

I want to drop one class but that would make me a part time student and not full time, I have already received my pell grant but I bought a computer for school already and have no money left. I don't even have a job. I already have 2 withdrawls in my transcript, this would be my third, I want to drop because I don't think im passing it, but last semester I dropped 2 classes and still received financial aid and did not have to pay back anything, but I WAS put on financial aid probation because I failed the other class an my gpa got below 2.0, will I have to pay back some money even though last year I did not pay anything and dropped 2 classes. Is it better to drop a class than to fail? because my gpa would then go way down and in the future I will not qualify for financial aid. I know that the college won't even care but I just can't go on with this class, I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks, I can prove it, I have a paper that my doctor gave me for my diagnosis, I even take medication for it, im 19 btw

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The answer is yes. By Federal law, if you do not enroll as a full time student (12 credit-hours in the fall/spring semester; 6 credit-hours in the summer) you will be required to repay all or at least a portion of your Pell Grant back.

    According to the Federal Student Aid Collections guide, if you choose to drop your class your school will notify you about repaying at least a portion of the grant back. Once the notification is sent out you will have exactly 45 days to either repay the amount back in full or make a special payment plan with your university.If you fail to pay the money back or do not make payment arrangements, you will not only lose your Federal financial aid eligibility in the future, but your school will also report you to the U.S. Department of Education for collections.

    So, how much are you expected to pay back? Your school's financial office will use a formula that determines the "unearned" segment of the grant. Whatever you did not "earn" is what you'll need to pay back. So, for example purposes only, if your semester was 100 days long and you dropped your class on the 18th day of school, this means that you completed (earned) 18% of your semester— the remaining 82% is "unearned." So, if you were awarded a $2,000 Pell Grant, the 82% unearned portion of that grant would total $1,640. You would owe $1,640.

    If you are struggling in your class and have a medical condition I suggest talking to your professor about it. Perhaps he or she can offer you some additional outside help and refer you to some good tutors. If you do not have the funds to repay your debt it is ill advised to give up so easily on a class because you don't like it or "you think" you're failing. Don't ever give up. There might be a way that you can salvage your grade. But professors won't help you unless you ask for it.

    Source(s): Federal Student Aid Collections and my own personal experience in working with students and higher education.
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.