Clumsical asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

DS: Dogs from the same breed that look nothing alike.?

What are some breeds that have two or more "types" that look nothing like each other.

Kind of like the Pyrenean Shepherd. The Rough faced looks a lot like a terrier and the Smooth faced looks like a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd.

Any other breeds?

LG: Do you thin rarer breeds are often mistaken for more common ones or mutts at shelters?

oops, I said thin and I meant think.

Best Answer

The reason for the differences in the Pyrenean shepherd is that the dog is bred only for its ability to herd and not for a style or look. Working dogs are bred together regardless of what they resemble. The same can be said for the Dutch shepherd and the Belgium breeds of shepherds. The dutch shep is strictly a working dog, they can come in rough coated, long coated or smooth coated. The vast majority are brindle and as long as they herd or do police work they are dutch shepherds.

Same for the bulgem breeds, the Malinois is the smooth coat, Tervern is the long coated sable dog, the Groenendael is the black long coat, and the Laekenois is the curly coated dog. All are seen a varieties of the same breed in their homeland but separate breeds in the USA.

Yes i have seen rare breeds dogs in helter that were listed as mixed breeds and i have seen pure bred fairly common dogs mislabled as something other then what they really are in hopes of getting them adopted. (like pit bulls being labeled

as American Bulldogs, which clearly they were not.)

Source(s): work for a vet and study rare dog breeds

Whippets for sure. There are American show lines, European show lines, American racing lines and European coursing lines. There is of course argument about form follows function and which is more 'correct'. Some may say that a racing Whippet with a straighter shoulder, flat topline, and half-pricked ears is a poor example of the breed.. Which begs the question, how poor of an example of the breed could they be if they excel in what they were bred to do? I think this is a different 'type' than what you were thinking of though..Hahaha

I think rare breeds can definitely be mistaken for mutts or other breeds at shelters. If, say, a Beauceron happened to wind up in a shelter, less experienced shelter workers may simply call them a Doberman mix.

Many rarer hairless breeds could be mistaken for a Chinese Crested, I'm sure.

Source(s): Dog show exhibitor/owner of 5 dogs :)
  • Collies are like that, there is the Rough, Smooth, and Bearded. Daschunds come in long-haired, short-haired, and wire-haired, the long and short haired looks significantly different from the wire to me. English and American Cocker Spaniels, you would think they are just a variety of the same breed but because they look so different they are separate breeds.

Those are all that I can think of off the top of my head.

LG: Sometimes I think this happens, but not often. A lot of the times mutts are just mutts.

I don’t know about different types looking so different, but I have two bullmastiffs. The older one (the mother of the younger one) looks pretty much like a brown version of Brutus (the dog from the Tom and Jerry cartoons), lower teeth sticking up and all. On the other hand, our little boy, (though at 18 months and toping the scales at 78kg not so little) looks very different - longer snout and no lower teeth sticking out. Both have good parent’s pedigrees and are certainly the same breed.

• Lizzie

My brain isn't functioning well enough to think of other breeds whose two varieties do not resemble each other much at all. But I am sure that animal shelters almost routinely misidentify breeds. After a bad storm blew out sections of our fences and our dogs escaped, a neighbor and I went to the shelter to reclaim our microchipped dog (mine was tattooed, also).

Her Flat Coated Retriever had been picked up and "identified" as a Lab mix. My Shetland Sheepdog was there, and labeled as a "Shih Tzu," a breed to which he bore NO resemblance. In spite of my ID and my dog's microchip (which they refused for 3 days to scan), and the tattoo they wouldn't look at, they would not release the dog to me because the cage card said "Shih Tzu" and I said "Sheltie." After a lot of stress and struggle and fear that they were going to kill my dog, they finally scanned him, charged me for the 3 days and let me take him home. My friend had a bad time, too.

Maybe they only needed the extra money but I have become convinced, from that incident and others, that most of the people who work in shelters are unable to identify many even common breeds.

Fox terriers- smooth coated and wire!

My friend has a wire and it reminds me of a kerry blue, with its litttle beard- but the smooth coat- I love those little dogs- but they remind me a lot of the JRT that are so near and dear to me.

LG- not really- people don't dump a dog they paid good money for- rarer breeds are much less likely to end up in shelters, although it is possible.

I once had a kelpie rescue, no one knew what it was.

• YODEL

The Brittany. The AKC's standard is rather different than the original European FCI standard, plus our preferences & fads in the field and show ring have shaped the breed differently over the years to look rather different than their European counterpart. The AKC considers black in the coat or pigment to be a disqualification, whereas the FCI standard considers black coat patterns & black pigment (black nose/eyes even on a red/white dog) to be acceptable. American dogs are generally longer-legged, taller overall & heavier boned, and are reportedly more "hyper" though I couldn't say for sure.

Does this look like a Brittany to you?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh172/ForestBas...

I can assure you she is; she's mine, and she's a darn nice dog if I say so myself :)

The Brittany is known as the Epagneul Breton in Europe. The UKC has a seperate breed classification for EB's, as does OFA and PennHip. The AKC makes no such distinction & calls 'em all a Brittany. However most breeders/fanciers in the US make a distinction between the "French" and "American" Brittany, most if not all serious breeders keep the bloodlines seperate & many feel they ARE a seperate breed & should be considered as such by the AKC.

Link, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.frenchbrittany.org/history.html

Field versions of english springer spaniels and the show versions look nothing alike

I had a whole list, but I just blanked out :[ lol

Lg:toy fox terriers are mistaken for chihuahuas

Belgian malinois and german shepherds

American mastiffs and great danes

Patterdale terriers and black labs

White german shepherds and huskies

Yes a classic example is both the BSD and THE GSD the long haired varieties are often mistaken for one and other. i work, occasionally breed, and constantly train these dogs im often asked which is which

• Saluki - feathered and smooth. The smooth looks similar to a greyhound or azawakh.

Vizsla - wire-haired and smooth.

Will add more when I think of them!

LG: Yes I do ... look at the amount of people who look at a picture of a Hovawart and think its a Golden!