Volunteer and still be receiving Florida unemployment?

I am currently receiving unemployment and would like to volunteer at the library while searching for a job. I want to feel useful and not sit home all day. I also take online college courses. I thought it would be a good idea to volunteer at the library because that way it'll look good on my resume and I might find a job faster. Does anyone know if I can volunteer and still receive unemployment in Florida until I find a "real" job (hopefully soon)??

Favorite Answer

Since you are not being paid to volunteer, you can still receive your unemployment.

Any money you do make, you have to report to unemployment and they will deduct from your unemployment check for that time period.

Source(s): Had received unemployment.

It is only a matter of time before this person is caught (could this person be you?) You (or this person) will be caught and will have to pay back all of the unemployment, pay interest on the money, and pay a penalty, then be prosecuted for fraud and maybe jailed. The IRS will determine that this is a fake SS number and will start to investigate, only a matter of time becase unemployment benefits are taxable in both federal and with the state so it will not take long However, giving out a bad SS number to an employer is kind of hard because they verify your SS number before you start work (Federal law) so something is not real accurate with your question You have to show rthe employer your SS card and citizenship is checked and that cross checks SS numbers

Yes you can volunteer. It is not considered a paying job.

• silky1

I don't see why not you are only volunteering you are not receiving any compensation, so it should not effect your unemployment.

• WRG

Yes you can as long as it doesn't get in the way of you actively looking for and accepting work.