Why would a breeder demand that a puppy buyer feed a specific type of food?

I was browsing through the Woodhaven labs (Kelrobin) website this morning and visited their Puppy page - they had a long list of what they expect a purchaser to do in order to obtain one of their pups. Now, Woodhaven is a good kennel, they are completely transparent regarding their breeding practices and their... show more I was browsing through the Woodhaven labs (Kelrobin) website this morning and visited their Puppy page - they had a long list of what they expect a purchaser to do in order to obtain one of their pups. Now, Woodhaven is a good kennel, they are completely transparent regarding their breeding practices and their ideals and what they breed for, and have many good articles that many people here source to dissuade the ignorant from breeding their schnoodlezoo, but I was a bit surprised to come across this:

"We only feed our puppies ProPlan Chicken and Rice puppy food and require that our puppy owners do the same. "

??

Does this mean that if you choose to feed your dog something different, then that would violate their contract? Or possibly nullify their health contract, releasing them from instances of disease because they could say it was diet-related? (Not that I'm saying they're selfish enough to do such a thing)

Since there is more than one way to skin a cat, you'd think that the breeder would only stipulate that you feed something with real meat in it - not Ol' Roy or Kibbles n' Bits or Beneful or something - if they wanted to ensure the health of their dogs, instead of behaving as if their food of choice is the last word on the subject.

I could call them up and ask, but I've no interest in a pup now and am simply looking for ideas on why breeders do this sort of thing.
Update: Yes, when I worked at PetSmart, there were a few BYBs around who would come in with "breeder" coupons from Purina and would buy boatloads of Dog Chow (one lady bred mastiffs and Neos, the other did presa Canarios); I hadn't considered that.
Update 2: Jessie - I'd be saying the same thing if a breeder stipulated that owners only feed EVO or Orijen. Of course I am biased towards raw food, based on my experience with both humans and canines. Do I feel it's the best diet? Yes. Most dogs do "fine" on kibble, and beyond pointing out some... show more Jessie - I'd be saying the same thing if a breeder stipulated that owners only feed EVO or Orijen.

Of course I am biased towards raw food, based on my experience with both humans and canines. Do I feel it's the best diet? Yes.

Most dogs do "fine" on kibble, and beyond pointing out some facts and anecdotes, it's not my dog and so not my decision. I would just assume that breeders would realize that.
Update 3: Wasn't trying to argue with you Jessie : )

It looks like for some breeders there is a definite reason for their requirements.
Update 4: Sorry for the TDs - lots of bored children today. I'm halfway between Greek's stance and AA/Ava/Dee - I would want a frank conversation of values regarding nutrition and diet, and why we feel the way we feel, and suggestions - but that's where it ends. I'll keep this open another day or 2 -... show more Sorry for the TDs - lots of bored children today.

I'm halfway between Greek's stance and AA/Ava/Dee - I would want a frank conversation of values regarding nutrition and diet, and why we feel the way we feel, and suggestions - but that's where it ends.

I'll keep this open another day or 2 - thank you everyone!