Jess asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What was Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War?

Favorite Answer

Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War began as a small commitment of 30 men in 1962, and increased over the following decade to a peak of 7,672 Australians deployed in South Vietnam or in support of Australian forces there. The Vietnam War was the longest and most controversial war Australia has ever fought.

Approximately 60,000 Australians served in the conflict; 521 were killed and more than 3,000 were wounded.

The reasons as to why Australia became involved in the Vietnam War have been

traditionally painted in the colours of "collective security" and as part of the anti-Communist

"crusade" to contain a world wide communist threat. However, the decision to become involved

was not one take in isolation by the government of the day in Canberra. Rather it was the

culmination of a long period of tension and unease, not as one might believe, over the idea of

communist expansionism in Asia, but rather because of what was considered the unsatisfactory

relationship which had developed between Canberra and Washington.

• I starred your question though I cannot answer I would like to see what response you draw, thanx