Is is bad to eat spicy foods while pregnant?

I'm 33 weeks and I heard eating spicy foods during pregnancy is bad... I love spicy foods and sauces and I've had tons of it while pregnant. I don't eat it every single day but a few times a week. What's the worst that would happen? And does it really make the baby come earlier? :)

Thanks

• Hil
    Best Answer

I would stop eating it when you are close to your due date. You don't want to have a big stinky poo during delivery right?

• sogol

Spicy Foods While Pregnant

• ?

As far as I know, spicy foods are fine to eat during pregnancy. The biggest wives' tale is that it will cause you to go into labor, but that's really not true. There really aren't any natural labor inducers other than light exercise and sex, and even those are not 100%.

I ate all kinds of foods during my pregnancy. I remember a night where I had tacos, which were particularly spicy. I had indigestion, but I had been having indigestion for months, so it didn't really matter or change much.

My baby never came early. In fact, I was 38 weeks and absolutely desperate to give birth. I tried most of the myths and nothing seemed to work. And at my last doctor's visit, my blood pressure was really high and my baby's heart rate kept falling and then rising again. So, they put me on blood pressure medication and sent me home after an over-night. They scheduled for me to be induced at 5 AM on the 20th.

When I got to the hospital, I told them I didn't want to induce unless I had no other choice. I was 3 cm and they broke my water, which immediately sped the entire labor up. I delivered that night at 10:06 PM and I had a very beautiful, 6 lb 7 oz baby girl. She's 2 weeks old and we're both just as healthy as ever. (:

So, I don't think eating spicy foods is going to affect you at all. Just beware of that pesky indigestion! (;

• Randi

Spicy foods can be bad if you have a lot of it and to certain people. It's not necessarily bad when you're pregnant. This could be the time when you feel nauseated and vomit. But I'd stay away from spicy foods even if it isn't bad because you've thrown up from it once. And the baby newsletter is correct however, different women experience different symptoms when they're pregnant so you could still throw up a little bit in your second trimester.

Well the claim is that spicy foods will bring on labor... lol. I think its a bunch of garbage. I am almost 39weeks pregnant and LOVE buffalo chicken and have eaten that and other spicy foods all throughout my pregnancy and I'm still pregnant. The only downside is it may lead to more heartburn... but I figure if I'm gonna have heartburn anyway regardless of what I eat then I might as well go ahead and eat what I want lol.

• Sarah

It shouldnt cause any harm to you're baby, so enjoy! (you are lucky that you can without the heartburn!). The reason people believe that spicy foods make the baby come earlier, is because it can irritate your bowels, which MAY stimulate some contractions in your uturus... and help kick start labor. But if you're used to eating spicy food, I'd say your belly is probably used to it, and it isnt likely. I cant stand spicy foods... but suffered through a HOT curry when I was 42 (yes 42!) weeks... and it didnt work for me! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

RE:

I'm 33 weeks and I heard eating spicy foods during pregnancy is bad... I love spicy foods and sauces and I've had tons of it while pregnant. I don't eat it every single day but a few times a week. What's the worst that would happen? And does it really make the baby come earlier?...

Source(s): bad eat spicy foods pregnant: https://tr.im/xcbE5is-is-bad-to-eat-spicy-foods-wh...

the only issue i am aware of with spicy food is that it can bring on labour... i have eaten ALOT this week i am 40 weeks 5 days and nothing happened to me!

The other issue with spicy food is heartburn which occurs more easily in pregnancy but if you arent experiencing that then i wouldnt worry about eating it!

Eating it when breastfeeding is a different story and can really upset babies tummy...

• love

I don't think its bad at all. I eat spicy all the time during my whole pregnancy and my babies was healthy. You can eat all you want but it'll just going to give you some heartburn.

to Walter Waffles: Failed. Stop giving out false information.

• Robin

when i was pregnant with my son i swear i ate spicy foods like every single day.. literally ... family would tell me that i have hot sauce with food... NOT food with hot sauce.......... means that i put more spicy sauces on my plate than food.. lol anyway its totally false info. i asked my doctor just to make sure it was fine and it WAS!:) spicy food does not harm your unborn child and it also does NOT make the baby come earlier. i ate it everyday im not exaggerating either, and my son was past 40 weeks, he did NOT want to come out so i had to get induced...... which was painful but anyway thats another story lol. the point is that spicy foods like jalapenos and hot sauces will do no harm to your baby or hurry up the labor process WHAT SO EVER. GOOD LUCK hun:)

Source(s): mommy to a 10 month old boy and 9 weeks 6 days pregnant with #2
  • Doom

I don't know about it being bad during pregnancy, I don't think it is. But if you breastfeed, spicy foods and things like onions can make the baby colicky.