I am from the pre-computer generation and I need advice on the IPAD?

What is it?

Can it replace a computer/laptop with it?

How does it get internet access - do I have to subscribe to an ISP?

Do I need a LANDLINE?

Does it work like a cellphone?

I mean can I carry it around and use it randomly like a cellphone and can I make phone calls from it

(I think someone addressed this)

Thanks everyone, you guys helped out this old broad a lot. I can imagine it now - lol.

Favorite Answer

It's a very large touchscreen toy.

It can partially replace a computer or laptop - it depends what you need a computer for...

It can either use WiFi - so you need wireless internet in your house, which involves subscribing to an ISP - or you can put a mobile chip in it, in which case it uses a data call plan to access the internet.

If you want to use the WiFi, which is cheaper, then it depends what internet services are available for houses in your area. It'll either be a landline, or a cable.

Define "work like a cellphone". You don't make voice calls with it like a normal cell phone, but you can access the internet and send messages. It's a bit big to put to your ear, and it's WAY more expensive than a phone, a computer or a laptop (unless you have a high-spec gaming computer). Don't get fooled by the Apple hype - other tablets are available, some with more options.

• Sosumi

- It is a media consumption device. The best way to look at it is that is a 10 inch version of Apple ipod touch.

-No it cannot replace a home computer. You need a computer to set it up lol.

-There are currently 2 models: One recieves internet through wireless signals (something you need to have an isp and a wireless router yourself if you want to browse the web at home). The other has wifi and 3g (essentially internet via cell phone towers). Wifi will only work if you are near a hotspot. 3g means you get internet everywhere but you must pay 15 bucks a month to AT&T for access.

-No

-No, it does not have cellphone capabilities. It is not a phone. It is a giant touchscreen ipod.

its Apple's version of a 'tablet PC'

no, honestly, unless you just screw around on your computer it will never replace a desktop or laptop. (i hate the typing interface even for just quick Google searches)

it uses wireless to connect to internet, if you are in range of a wireless access point and have the credentials to connect then you can. if you don't already have internet then you will need an ISP

no you don't need a landline, unless you want to get DSL as an ISP if you get an ISP

no, it does not have phone capabilities.

I won't communicate approximately distinctive manufacturers by way of fact each and each has this is very own aim audience or following. even nonetheless, whilst it contains the ameliorations between desktops, Laptops and All-In-Ones, i could would desire to declare that a private laptop is a thank you to circulate. each and all of the factors are (frequently) able to be upgraded and with a private laptop unit the capability, which incorporates the heating and cooling is on a thoroughly distinctive point.

i odn't know anyone who is satisfied with it yet...

it is a limited tablet type computing deivce from the wortst of all producers, apple

no, not really

yes, you need service or wifi access

no, wont work w/ landlkine unless i'ts shared/bridged in your network

no.

it's an expensive toy

Source(s): 20 years as a computer electronics technician in the US Air Force and aerospace industry