Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 10 years ago

On a phone, what does airplane mode mean?

I've been told it means you can use your phone on an airplane but how does that work and when is the time should I turn it on?

Favorite Answer

"Airplane" mode on a phone shuts down the cell phone radio inside the phone, but allows the phone still to be used as a ... computing device, let's say. It may ALSO shut down the bluetooth and wifi radios as well - this varies from device to device.

The concern is that the presence of cellular phone transmissions may affect the avionics/control of the airplane, and that cell phones transmitting from 35,000 feet might flood the cellular system (they can "see" too many towers from up there.) There's some debate about weather or not this is really a problem, but right now, it's built into the FAA regulations, so that's a moot point.

Legally, you need to shut off your phone (or turn on your "airplane mode") at the moment that the main aircraft door is shut. As for turning it back on, airlines vary on their policies - some only allow it when stopped at the gate, some allow it once clear of all runways and taxiways (in the gate/terminal area, but not yet stopped) and some will allow use once clear of any active runway.

Source(s): Personal experience in aviation.

Whats Airplane Mode

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): phone airplane mode mean: https://tr.im/8eEMA
  • Cathy

When u go on the plane... u put ur phne on airplane mode...it basically switches off the phone function, bt the rest of the phones features work normally...

It means that the phones connection turns off. So you can play games and do other stuff that doesn't require connection to a carrier or internet.

Phone On Airplane Mode

• ?

its so you cant get no calls or text, no signal to the phone un'till you take it off the airplane mode.

Source(s): my self