YES!!!!!! I THINK IT IS SARCOPTIC MANGE!!!!!! and questions?

I was at the vets (again) and talked the vet into treating my non-collie breed dog for sarcoptic mange so she got the Ivermetcin injection. Already she is itching less tonight..still itching but it's significantly less. The problem is my border collie mix couldn't get the treatment so my other dog will get mites again if this shot kills them off her. My vet said revolution would be used for my border collie mix but it could still kill him..this is so against my beliefs to begin with..everyone on the rawfeeding yahoo group says heartworm medicine is toxic poison to dogs. How can I treat him when it can kill him?

has anyone treated a collie breed for mites and how please? thank you

And my cat never got mites yet she sleeps in the same bed as my dogs..so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong that my dogs get sick like this.

THANK YOU Jennifer, Felidire, and Chetco..god I appreciate it. I'm searching more info..about those links you found for the topical products Felidire and trying to find some BC experts on a yahoo group..one said I could use revolution but I don't know..I want to hear from more and see.

DSR--the slide results STILL aren't in yet!!!! But the vet scraped their skin today again and saw NO yeast at all which would indicate fungal..and he said he only saw normal skin bacteria and not even in an excessive amount but normal. I hope I'm not jumping the gun..but it is nice to see my dog not attack her skin endlessly for the first time in weeks.

• Feli
    Favorite Answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange#Treatment - mentions "Selamectin," and "Sulphurated Lime" rinses.

I used Sulphurated Lime while studying Horticulture (not on dogs..) but at least I have some idea on how to use it correctly. Never had a dog with mange myself, but all of the dogs I've had tested heterozygous for MDR-1. (I use Interceptor Spectrum as a heartwormer, less potent than Ivermectin and I doubt it would do anything to prevent mange.)

If it were me, I would talk to the vet about any "topical" treatments for mange that did not involve the use of ivermectin. Also, you're supposed to isolate affected dogs from eachother if they have Sarcoptic Mange (it's also partially contagious to humans, so you could catch it for 1-2 weeks simply from touching them.) Wash their bedding thoroughly and get them to sleep in seperate areas in my opinion.

Sorry I can't help out more.

--

Edit: here's some random (probably bullshít website) http://petsbestrx.com/mange/

I dunno, assides from the 3 shots as a puppy I just don't like getting mdr dogs innoculated. So creams and whatnot would be my first consideration. (At least you can get chews and creams off of the dog, not the case if you inject them.)

Edit #2: Here's another one: http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/demodectic-...

"One method that works extremely well is a cattle dip called Prolate which is used to rid a dog of sarcoptic mange mites."

I'd ask about that one.

We use revolution in collie breeds and collie mixes that we feel may have sarcoptic mange. WE give one dose every two weeks for four treatments. These dogs are still walking around and most of them were treated years ago. Yes these are toxins. If they weren't the mites would not be killed. The ivermectin that your other dog received is a heartworm preventative but in a larger dose. You need to ask yourself, "would my dog be better with the medication or without it?" I think that your dog would want you to try as it is a miserable existence to be scratching and biting all the time. Any other option is to use the lyme-sulfur dips. However that has to be done every three days for at least six weeks and it is a messy, smelly process. Most owners will not follow the process to the end so that treatment usually fails due to a lack of owner compliance.

So you need to decide what you feel is best for your dogs. If your dog were mine, he would be treated. I feel that if you could ask your dog his choice to be treated he would say "PLEASE" these darn things are driving me crazy. I haven't gotten any rest for weeks." I find tha t dogs who after having untreated sarcoptes for a long time, will sleep a lot. The mites are driving them so crazy that they don't get to sleep well which opens them up to a ton of issues. Sleep deprivation can lower immunity immensely.

While sarcoptes will get on cats, they don't like cats well enough to stay on them when they have a nice dog to feed on.

Source(s): CVT
  • Well I am glad you have a diagnosis!

What did he say about the Interceptor?

I know your feelings on the heartworm preventatives, BUT you aren't using it as that. You are using it as a treatment for a parasitic infection instead of treating for a parasite your dog may or may not have. If I understand where you are coming from correctly, you are against poisoning your dog monthly to treat it for something it doesn't have. Right? But in this case your dog DOES have a parasite and therefore it IS worth the risk.

As for your collie mix....hmpf. I really don't know. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you. I haven't had to deal with it before!

• Chetco

My breed can't have Ivermectin either. I use Revolution for heartworm and other parasite control. Revolution is Selamectin.

If mine were to get mange, I would use Revolution.

I'll see what I can find referring to BCs>

I found a couple of reviews stating that their BCs had adverse reactions to Salamectin ( Revolvution) and this study that states that the ones they tested had no adverse reactions..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10940525

I would talk to some expert BC people.

Well at least you are on the right track now. Here is some information on MDR1 gene for your border collie. Heart Guard is bad for the border collie, I thought interceptor was o.k.

Multiple Drug Sensitivity (MDR1 gene) DNA Test – This DNA test identifies dogs that are sensitive to several medications. Shelties, Collies, Australian Shepherds, and Border Collies are a few of the breeds with this genetic mutation. Several commonly used drugs, ex. antiparasitic drugs (some used in heartworm preventatives), tranquilizers (acepromazine), and anti-diarrheal drugs (Imodium®) are a few of the drugs that may affect dogs with this genetic mutation.. This test would provide useful, practical knowledge for every Sheltie owner, since knowing the status of each dog as clear, carrier, or affected would help a veterinarian determine which drugs to use or avoid in a particular dog. As of March, 2008, 448 Shelties have been tested (Washington State University) with 11% being heterozygous (carriers) for the MDR1 mutation, and 1 % homozygous for the MDR1 mutation. Heterozygous dogs (carriers) exhibit sensitivity to drugs that is similar to or less than that of homozygous (affected) dogs. A complete list of drugs that may affect dogs with the MDR1 gene can be found at the following link: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx. More information on the topic can be found at: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/ and http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm . Dogs “Clear By Parentage” (first generation - see OFA website for detailed policy) would be accepted into the CHIC program. The test can be performed using DNA from cheek brush collection that can be mailed-in by the owner.

Source: www. Assa.org/health.html/mdr1gene

Source(s): www.assa.org/health.html/mdr1gene

Wow....I hope thats it, and this is the end to your saga. :o)

Youve already gotten the answers to other treatments, so I will leave it at that.

My mothers vet also had her use a specific flea shampoo in addition to the Ivermectin, and she followed up with Revolution after the treatment (but her dog was a poodle, not a collie).

Be sure to wash everything they have touched in hot water.

Source(s): lots o dogs

So did you get the test results yet? Are you 100% POSITIVE it's SM?

that is a great question