2000 nissan sentra p1130 swirl control valve location 1.8L?

Getting a rough idle 5-6 minutes after warm up in my nissan sentra 1.8L. DTC codes came back p1130 which I believe is 'Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve'. Shortly afterwards, the code P0175 comes up because the engine is running rich. I assume the rich mixture is due to the p1130 code. Problem is, I have no idea where this SCV is. I understand that it is a solenoid valve, and I've dealt with them on other cars' egr systems. Its a little solenoid that has usually two hose connections at one end and a third connection at the opposite end of it. Now I found a solenoid valve like that deep underneath the throttle plate opening, but I thought this vacuum valve was for the EGR system. Am I wrong? Could someone tell me exactly where the SCV, if I even have one, and if you have any tricks/methods to test its functionality. Thank you in advance.

Hey John Paul, thanks so much for your input, I did what you said and i hear the solenoid clicking when i ground the non-power side of the line to the solenoid, but the diaphram of the actuator on the side of the intake manifold is NOT moving. Once i start the vehicle, it compresses and stays compressed even after engaging the ground on the solenoid. I then pulled the vacuum line from the solenoid TO the actuator diaphram and ONLY THEN did the diaphram slide out. I put my finger on the line and felt vacuum. Then I engaged the solenoid again and put my finger over the line again and felt less vacuum, but only slightly and it was still sucking pretty strongly (obviously enough to keep the diaphram from closing). So does this mean the solenoid is bad? Since the actuator diaphram moves by hand, doesn't this mean that the solenoid is bad? It DOES click and slightly switch the vacuum to the other line, but maybe its not switching all the way? Let me know if this sounds right to you THANKS

Favorite Answer

Swirl valve uses a electrical vacuum valve like the EGR uses and are not connected to the EGR. The Swirl valve controls the length of the intake manifold runners short for high speed and long for low end torque. Switches around 3,200 RPM. A P 1130 Swirl Sol. Valve and P 1132 Circuit malfunction and P 1138 caused by the checking switch. the swirl valve switch is next to the ECM. The 4 butter fly are in the manifold operated by a vacuum hose a diaphragm and hose to a electrical solenoid the swirl valve switch and manifold vacuum nipple one way valve on the plenum and vacuum storage bottle hidden somewhere. Find the solenoid 12v test light find the power side unplugged then supply ground to the non power side plugged back in watch the diaphram move the shaft on the lower manifold motor idling. Be very cautious I get one or two cars a year where some well meaning tech. burns out the ground circuit ruining the ECM by accidentally powering the ground wire.

Rich running can only be caused by extra fuel getting into the motor or a dead O2 sensor but you do not have a o2 sensor code. Look to the engine oil smell like gasoline? Lots of short trips? Check the fuel system pressure regulator it may be allowing fuel into the vacuum hose. Fuel system not holding 19 psi after 2 hours? Good Luck

Source(s): Nissan Master Tech