Karma
Karma asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Clogged bathtub drain due to kitty litter. HELP!!?

My mom and I were cleaning out my cats litter boxes and instead of pouring the water in the toilet like we usually do, we poured it in the tub. Now the drain is clogged and the water isn't budging at all. We tried using a plunger then we soaked up all the water with a towel, but we still need to fix the drain. I rent and don't know if my pipes are metal or plastic so assuming they are plastic to be on the safe side, what can we do to drain it without calling my landlord.

* I know this was stupid. We weren't thinking. Please no sarcastic remarks. JUST HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Favorite Answer

Drain Ex won't work, it can't dissolve litter.

Get as much of the fluid out as possible and let it air dry. Take off the drain cover and use the vacuum to suck out what's in the trap there. Try pouring water in after that, if it's still clogged it's in the U shaped trap right behind the drain which means a hand held roto rooter snake--your landlord may have one, otherwise a plumber, or you can buy one at any hardware store. The crank ones are hard to make work, but many can be attached to a power drill and fed down.

If it's a clumping litter--go directly to the snake, it's the only way. Check with some guy friends, chances are they've got one of these you can borrow.

I have had success breaking up drain clogs with a wire coat hanger.

Unwind the closure then open it up so most of it is completely straight. Leave a slight curve the last six inches. The amount of the curve along that 6 inches needs to be less than the width of the drain pipe.

Poke the slightly curved end down the drain until it stops. Where it stops will be either the curve in the drain or the clog. Move the coat hanger around both turning it and pulling it up and down a little.

If you think you've moved part of the clog try running water down the drain full blast then do some more until the clog is gone.

• Lauren

Use a wet/dry vacuum like a Shop Vac to remove the solid pieces of cat litter from the drain.After removing those particles with the wet/dry vac, turn on the hot water and let it run through the drain for about 2 to 3 minutes. This will allow you to confirm that the drain is clear, while dissolving any remaining litter. Mix 2 cups of hot water and 1/4 cup of dishwashing liquid. Slowly pour the mixture down the drain. The combination of hot water and detergent should dissolve the litter, as well as wash it away. If it is a large clump of litter, you may need to straighten a wire coat hanger and jab at the clump until it breaks apart. Try a Garden hose or a pressure washer And/or a pipe snake

• proto

Bathtub Clog

Drain cleaners won't work on cat litter clogs. Go to the rental store and rent yourself a sewer snake (they will know what you mean) and they will instruct you on how to use it.

This device is a flexible tool that you feed down the drain while it rotates. Does an excellent job. Plumbers use the same device but a plumber call would cost you over a hundred dollars.

Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware stores carry drain snakes, so you can try that. If you can poke a hole in the clog with the snake, you can usually flush it out carefully. You may want to switch from clay litter to something like corn litter, which doesn't clog things as easily. If you stick with clay litter, dump the water outside. It won't hurt dirt.

• Ocimom

If you were using the clumping litter, you have a serious problem. You will need to contact the landlord or you will need to buy a "snake" and try to unstop it yourself (take out the drain stopper.

And dumping down the toilet is not wise either. I suggest in the future you take the litter pan OUTSIDE with a bucket of water to clean and rinse.

• Bob

Well if it's clumping kitty litter that is basically clay. No drain cleaner will work. It will have to be "snaked" out. If that doesn't work the pipes will have to be opened up. Most likely by accessing from the floor below.$$$ BTW you shouldn't dump it down the toilet either. Put it is a trash bag.

• john

A quick inexpensive suggestion.Go to your local discount or hardware store and get a plastic flexible "snake" device.I have not used this on kitty litter but it does a wonderful job on hair and might loosen up the litter. Preferably go to an independent Ace or True Value Hardware store as you can get some wonderful advice for your problem.

I have to agree with most said here, I rent too and we clean our cat boxes outside and pour the water in the backyard... I know its a hassle but it will save you money in the end :) Unfortunately as a renter I will tell you depending on your state, instances like these HAVE to be reportedto the landlord for future renters information and for problems with inspections. Especially if it continues to have problems after you ahve tried to fix the problem, you might make it worse.