Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians - When being asked to prove that God exists?

I thought of this when answering the below question from "Religion is Sinking"

He asked, Can you prove that God is real?

Answer: Can you prove an emotion is real? Wouldn't this be like asking me how I feel and then asking to me to prove it!. How can I? Through tears, through a red face of rage, through a blank look of depression? Of course, but this is not proof. Not the kind you are asking for at least. Where does human perception of truth come in to play? Is that not the basis of using all of our senses - body, mind, soul.

Emotions aren't tangible but they can manifest physically just like God. Correct? You can't taste or touch God or an emotion but you feel it i.e a tear is to an emotion as a sunset is to God.

Let me know your thoughts on this

Aeca - Love that insight and was thinking about that when I did my post. We're on the same line!

SaintCog -You proved my point. As a human I can see when someone is sad. Can't prove it but I can tell even if there is no tear. Why? Because I have insight, can't prove insight either. And that's why we can't prove God in the way the atheists want us too.

Mike - I love the way you put it also! Brilliant. Bingo. Makes sense to me.

Kathy - something to chew on

Loving the responses as they really are well thought out and give me new insight as well

To the people who said, God can't manifest himself physically si wrong wrong wrong. He is all around physically. Have you seen a sunrise lately or the stars?

Best Answer

We have the greatest message of all time to prove that God exists.

Suppose you and I went to an art museum, and as we stood in front of a magnificent painting, I said to you, “There was no painter!” You would have every right to respond as if I were crazy, right? Or suppose we stood outside a large building and I said to you, “There was no builder!” Again, you would have every right to think I was insane!

You see a beautiful painting; you know there had to be a painter.

You see a building; you know there had to be a builder.

When you look at creation, why is it so hard to know there is a Creator?

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." Psalm 14:1

The Creator has clearly revealed in His word, the Bible, what He has every right to expect you to do, and not do. He commands everyone to turn away from things He has clearly revealed offend Him (repentance). Admit to Him you have done these things, truly sorry from your heart and trust His way of making people right with Him, that Jesus suffered on the cross, for your sins.

Read more, Acts 17:30-31; Romans 1:20; John 1:1-2; John 1:14; Job 38:4; Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 45:18

free daily Bible message emailed to you ~ www.GodsLoveProven.com

Read how the Bible says to be right with God, Matthew 4:17; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19; Romans 2:4-5; Romans 3:23-24; James 2:10; Hebrews 9:27; 1 John 1:8-9; Romans 5:8; Romans 10:9-10; Romans 10:13; Ephesians 2:8-9; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 Peter 3:18; John 3:36; 1 John 5:11-13

God exists beyond an emotion or thought.

When a person demands that we prove God exists, you must weigh the hope with which they ask. We can prove quite easily that sin kills. We can also prove quite easily that sin is a worthy price for spiritual and physical death to many people. Thus, if someone is not dying from their sin in a way they can see, but rather "gaining" great pleasure from it, we are spitting into the wind with them.

The first book off a printing press was the Bible. The date this whole world uses to pass time is directly connected to Jesus Christ. Now, if folks want to assign these things to cosmic luck or some grand conspiracy, then how can we reason with them?

It's like someone telling you magic fairies put the creme filling in Twinkies. The filling is there, yet it came about by an explosion or some such nonsense. When people ask this question in person, we can tell rather quickly if they really want to know. Online? It is bait to get Christians bickering for the amusement of satan.

I spent the better part of 3 months responding to thousands of people on Myspace over this topic. Guess how many asked to see the proof? Four. Guess how many stuck around to test the proof? Zero. 10,000+ replies to that blog and this was the result.

At the end of my time at that website it was not proving God exists to people that saw a seed take root. It was attacks against us and our grace from God under fire that won the day.

The internet is the opposite of reality. Check out reality.com if you would like proof. That site is the opposite of reality. It is Dungeons and Dragons style fantasy.

That's my take.

A good book on this subject is "God and The New Atheism" by John Haught. It is a bit technical in its nature, but it shows us the game plan of these new folks as compared to their ancestors. This new breed are the least theologically trained group in the history of mankind. In an age of information no less.

Source(s): www.bible.com Experience

I understand what you mean, and as someone who openly rejects the Christian religion and all their bigotry and hate, I do think that reality is somewhat a dynamic entity and that ones perception as to what is real/fake is more important and more influential than a physical manifestation. For example, people believe in God. God has changed many peoples lives, and the church invariably exists. In that way God does exist, perhaps not physically, but as an idea come to life in a most profound manner. For example, if I were to say I flew, and you indeed thought that you saw me fly, what in the grand scheme of things is more important? Because every action or entity reacts with something else in a way that validates it's existence (air - we breath it hence we know it exists, emotions- they have a direct effect on others and ones personal disposition) therefore, if both of us thought I flew, the idea itself would be worth more weight than me actually floating, and in that way, to a degree it could logically be said that it happened.

However, logically the positive existential proclamation does in fact bear the burden of proof ( in a court of law at least ) in which case this philosophical approach would seem to fail. lol sorry I rambled a bit.

You are under no obligation to prove God exists.

You are only responsible to be a helpful reminder that God exists (something everyone should already know), and point them to the Son.

Romans 1:18-20

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

• Josh6

Anyone can prove God is real. However, they must make Jesus their Lord and Master of their lives first, then God's own Holy Spirit will dwell within the heart and there is no mistaking His presence.

However, if all the individual has is an emotional feeling, I would question the transfer of a sinful life to a born-again life. For God to be real in one's life he or she must trust in the Lord with all his heart and not lean upon his own understanding.

Salvation and believing in God is not based on feelings, but feeling are visible. It is based on faith. Feelings go up an down, salvation doesn't. When we feel all alone and lonely He says I am with you always and He comforts us, when we are afraid and fearful, He says do not fear for I am always with you. When we say Lord I just do not feel you near me today, He says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

We have no problem feeling the nearness of God and His presence when we are feeling good about the way our life is going, but when the trails and tribulations set in then that is where our faith and belief in His Word comes in and our faith is put to the test. We then as in the good times still stand on His Word by our faith in Him, though the way we feel at the time is not good.

God like parent's does not have to give a reason for everything that He does and doesn't do. He does not have to give us the why to all our question's and most of the time if He did we wouldn't understand it anyway. Children ask the "why" question's all the time, but they are not given the answer's all the time for various different reason's. But they do not turn on their parent's and say well I am just not going to believe in you anymore and run off and never speak to their parent's again. But, if they do a good parent is always there to welcome them back again just as God is.

The Holy Spirit manifest the wonder's of the God everyday. Like you said in the sunset, in the birth of a new born, in the rain drops, and the snow flake not one of them is the same. In the wind, in a storm. In Romans 1:20 He said, For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

We can believe anything we want, doesn't make it true. But there is a "knowing", when you know something to be true, that is much differen't than belief. Trouble with proving God exists, is which God, there is not a single person out there that pictures or experiences God in the same way, God being life, atheists experiencing Life, can't say Life does not exist...just their own perception of something very real but none of us have the only true picture of God...and for those who have a direct relationship with God, proof is meaningless...no matter what someone says they believe or not believe about God, we don't know what that "knowing" is inside of them...God is within us, most of us are seeking without...and going without...

Great way to explain it. I always go the cause and effect route personally but, for others this would be nice. Cause and effect there always has to be a beginning effect to cause anything. If there is no God the where did we come from. and then how did that come about until there is no answer. Also intelligent design if you found a watch washed up on the beach and never seen a watch before if you open the back and saw all the parts working so perfectly together would you just say it came in existence or would you know it had to be intelligently made? But, what do I know.

God Bless

To be an atheist is to start out with the presupposition that anything which appears to point to God must be explicable in some other way. Even if there is no other explanation ready to hand you will hear something along the lines of, "Well we might not understand it yet, but we are making progress, and we will one day."

Therefore you cannot prove to an atheist that God exists. But that has got absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he actually exists.

You are not even close. Emotional states are measurable, verifiable, distinctive, and even repeatable. We can locate them in various parts of the brain and we can stimulate these same parts of the brain and create them. They are certainly tangible. We can influence them with drugs or in any number of other ways. We can express them in any number of ways as well. What do you imagine you are talking about. I can show you 100 people and you will be able to tell me which ones are sad by simply looking at them. A child of two or three years old can recognize basic emotions and their expressions.

Now, you show me 100 gods and I will see if I can pick yours out of the lineup. God is real? Prove it!