Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

What is religious term Limbo mean?

I want the religious term of limbo. I want to know more about it, like stories regarding Limbo.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Limbo was never a statement of faith or dogma but became a statement of tradition and thought over time. Limbo became a way of trying to comfort those who had to deal with unborn or unbaptized that never made it to childhood. There is nothing in the old or new testament regarding this term. Early Greeks tried to deal with this Gregory of Nyssa in the 4th century AD. admitted this was greater than our minds could grasp. St. Augustine years later felt unbaptized must be consigned to hell. but thought that God was just and perhaps they suffered only the mildest condemnation. Thomas Aquinas suggested they might enjoy natural happiness. Since they would not see or hear of God; they would not know what they missed.

From the 16th century the Popes took a softer view but left the answer vague. Before Vatican I 1869 the subject of the term Limbo was used loosely to describe what happen to babies who died before birth and /or baptism. Vatican II in 1965 declined that thought. We view God as being all loving and caring and know he does what is necessary for the infant. As a young child we were lead to think God raised the infants up to become angels around Him. Something to think about isn't it. But it has been thought of through out history and there still is no real answer with any certainty. I guess He will tell us when we get there.

Source(s): I have been a Catholic since 1950 and I have studied at Notre Dame, Loyola, De Paul, and St. Joseph's College and have not seen any written document stating that is existed.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • The Catholic religion brings the belief of "Limbo" that varies on some Catholics. Some Catholics say it is a state between hell and heaven where you are still being judge. Others say it is the stage right above hell where it is cleaner but yet you will reach hell.

As an Atheist I do not believe in Limbo by all means.

• Junior
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It's a made up place for people who don't want to have to deal with the truth that there is only heaven or hell, not a middle place where you get a do-over. There is no basis in the Bible for limbo.

• 10 years ago

Limbo was a theological theory from the middle ages that attemted to explain what happened to unbaptized babies when they died. It was never a doctrine.

The best explanation can be found here:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0101fr.asp

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

It's about how low you can go!

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack go under limbo stick,

All around the limbo clock, hey, let's do the limbo rock!

• 10 years ago

You have to bend backwards and walk under the bar without touching it or falling to the floor.

• 10 years ago

It's the song they play over and over agian for all of eternity when you get to heaven...er, hell.

• 10 years ago

I no longer have any desire to do this any more. Like at all. good bye Y!A

• norm s
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

catholics call it pergatory, but there is no mention of it anywhere in the bible

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It means, that you ain't got no house!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.