Accidentally wiped external hard drive?

I was on my roommates computer and was trying to do things to his usb drive to allow me to boot windows seven from it. here is what i typed in the command prompt

SELECT DISK 1

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

i meant that for the usb but think i used it on the drive because now his external drive is wiped. how do i get that data back if i wiped it using command prompt? thanks.

I installed pc inspector but when i click the external drive the green checkmark stays grey, so i cannot check it. please help!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Try Recuva - http://www.piriform.com/recuva - Fantastic file recovery software. In February 2010, this found and recovered 69,000+ files on a drive that one of my client's had accidentally formatted! I'm so glad they hadn't heard of DBAN!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Try using "System Restore" System Restore automatically saves check points of a computers entire data. Using a system restore is basically making your system exactly what it was like at the last checkpoint, like what the computer was like last week for example. Every copy of windows comes with the program "System Restore"

• 9 years ago

Use Recuva, and try to recover the data. If that doesn't work, then there is no way to get the data back without taking it to a professional data recovery service (VERY expensive)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you formatted the drive, there's nothing left to recover. Sorry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Wiping the drive is permanent, so you will need to retrieve the files you've lost from your backups. Sorry!

• 9 years ago

hmmmm i dont think you can if you have reformatted it. you have to be very carefull useing the command line with as an admin. you should have used a 3rd party program to do it there are plenty out there try unetbootin

• 9 years ago

You have already formatted it. I don't think it can be recovered anymore.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

u know it's gone bye bye>:)

Source(s): Charles personal experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.