Norwegian Citizenship?

I am considering moving to Norway. My father was born there (in 1954) and I still have family there (though I don't know them personally as I have never been there myself). I do have an aunt and a grandmother who flit back and forth between the US and Norway. My father was a US citizen. He and his parents moved to the US when he was young, but since he was born there, would I have any luck applying for citizenship under the descendant's rule? If I was granted citizenship, would my children also by extension be citizens (they are currently 9&13). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Elise
    Favorite Answer

It would be best to contact the nearest Norwegian embassy/consulate or UDI (the migration board), since your case sounds a little complicated.

For your father to be eligible to pass on Norwegian citizenship to children, it would be necessary that he acquired both US and Norwegian citizenship at birth, and applied to retain his Norwegian citizenship before age 22. Norway doesn't otherwise allow dual citizenship. If he gained US citizenship when he moved, he technically gave up his Norwegian citizenship. This also means that even if you gained Norwegian citizenship at birth (whether or not you knew it), you had to apply to keep it by age 22. As far as I know, there is no other way to claim it by birthright.

Information can be found here:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigra...

consider to learn Norwegian

If you have never been there ..do go for a months visit first

It may not be for you