Good classic novels under 300 pages?

i have to read a classic novel for my 9th grade english class. i would like for it to be under 300 pages but if it is a little over then it's ok. it has to have a minimum of 200 pages. i would like it to be interesting and easy to comprehend. please no harry potter, twilight, or edgar allen poe novels! thank you :)

Favorite Answer

In the Gothic vein:

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

Comedy:

Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)

Any novel by Mark Twain

Serious stuff:

The Good Soldier (Ford Madox Ford)

The Heart of the Matter (Graham Greene; also, any of his other serious, well-known novels)

Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell) - goes over 300 p a bit, but I highly recommend it

The Fifth Business - Robertson Davies

Another idea is any Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; however, they may not meet the 200p requirement.

If your teacher accepts non-European/North American literature, I would also suggest Sanshiro or Botchan by Natsume Soseki, and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Good luck!

P.S. Why no Poe?

Hi there!!

Classic novels that are easy to comprehend? That's asking alot!! HAHA. My first instinct was to recommend The Great Gatsby but that falls short of your 200 page minimum. Do you like Ernest Hemingway? He's known for his simplistic writing style. I would check out The Sun Also Rises or A Farewell to Arms. Both really good books, and fairly easy to understand.

Have a good one!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Amazing book and at least 200 probably 250 in a normal sized book (I have a book with huge pages and small writing and its 200 pages so I dont know what it is in regular pages.

i watch television rarely. you just do not get the same quality. after all, try making walden into a tv set show

• Lena

Truly, there is no contrast....simply because viewing television relies on the gunky imagination of a TV entertainer who's main concerns are budget, popularity and ratings also to Hell with theme integrity, or, for that matter, anything truly creative.