Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

What do you think Mom Upset Over Son's Assignment to Recite Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish?

Melissa Taggart says she was delighted that her son was learning a foreign language in the eighth grade -- until she learned he was expected to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish.

And that he'd receive a zero if he didn't.

Taggart, of Edmond, Okla., said the Pledge should be recited in English -- and English only.

“English is our language…and I just feel it’s wrong that he would have to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America in Spanish. It’s just wrong,” a frustrated Taggart told KFOR.

She said she couldn't begin to understand why her son's teacher would choose the Pledge for her class. And she was upset that her son was told he would receive a zero if he did not complete the assignment."There are poems, lyrics, and great writes that she could have chosen that emphasize the Spanish culture and to teach our children," Taggart said. "Why the Pledge of Allegiance?"

She said she and her husband were appalled by the assignment and that they “don't believe in it, and I do not want my child doing it."

"I just feel that it's wrong," she told KFOR, "that he'll have to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America in Spanish. That's not how it should be taught. That has nothing to do with the Spanish language."

But Brenda Lyons, associate superintendent and public information officer for the Edmond School District, defended the class assignment, saying the school's language curriculum calls for students to translate and recite something that they are familiar with.

“The Pledge assignment has been in place for years.” Lyons told FoxNews.com. “It is written in the curriculum for Spanish that students need to learn something they are familiar with, like short phrases in the foreign language.”

She said students and parents were made aware of the assignment at the beginning of the school year, and added: “If a parent has an issue with an assignment and calls in advance of that assignment being given, then the student can be given an alternative assignment.”

Lyons said the Taggarts did not call the school to complain prior to the assignment, “so her son was given a zero for a test grade because he failed to complete the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish.”

But after hearing Taggart's complaint, the school is bending a bit in this case. The boy's teacher, after giving him a zero, is now allowing him to complete another assignment to replace the Pledge.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/03/parent-disgru...

Update:

How many real American are pleding allegiance to foreign countries?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a deliberate program in the Republican Party to instigate, encourage and exploit not just nativism and xenophobia but ALL forms of intolerance. At this point in our history, white people in the Southwest and far West are frightened of becoming minorities in their own states (here in California, whites are already a minority). Republicans posture anti-immigrant in hopes of exploiting this fear. But what exactly would these people be afraid of if they really believed, as they profess to believe, that minorities are not in an underprivileged position, that the rights of minorities are not threatened?

-----------The kid was voluntarily taking a Spanish class at the apparent instigation of his mother. That's hardly "xenophobia". But the mother does take exception to her son being expected to say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. Tell us, please--why is SHE not entitled to her opinion? Heaven knows--La Raza types in Arizona claim that they should be allowed to have classes in which Hispanic students learn Raza history. Why shouldn't THIS MOM expect her child to say the pledge in the language it was written in? Tell us--if Hispanic children refused to say the pledge in English, should they be required to?

The Pledge of Allegiance in classrooms is like the Ten Commandments in courthouses--it is about 99% symbolic. Ask any 7 or 8 year old and he will be able to recite the pledge word-perfect. But then ask him what it actually MEANS and he will shrug his shoulders. Perhaps he'll mouth a few canned platitudes he's been taught, but he really doesn't understand those either, it's just the 'right answer' to the question.

---------And symbolism doesn't matter? Is that why at some schools here in the US, Mexican students have raised the Mexican flag above the American flag? Carried signs demanding amnesty written in Spanish and carrying the flags of their home countries? Symbolism matters very much.

And by the way, as you point out, young kids that age don't understand the meaning of the pledge in THEIR OWN LANGUAGE so how can they possibly translate it or understand it in a foreign language? Translation is more than translating the words--it's translating the meaning.

Spanish-speaking Americans are Americans too, and they pledge allegiance (and OWE allegiance) to our flag just the same. Why it's a problem that Spanish-language students should learn the pledge in Spanish is completely beyond me. I was taught Christmas carols in Spanish and French, is that -blasphemy-? 8^P

------------No one was stopping Spanish-speaking Americans from reciting the pledge in their language. So how come YOU want to stop English-speaking Americans from reciting it in theirs?

As for learning the pledge in Spanish, the pledge apparently means more to this kids mom than to you. Why shouldn't her wishes be considered? And you know perfectly well, or should, that the U.S. is a country founded on a common acceptance of certain key values and a common culture (yes, we do have a common culture). That culture is embodied in the English language. Not every country has concepts such as "democracy" or similar abstractions. Nor is patriotism a religion--and I bet plenty of non Christians would take exception to having their kids forced to sing Christmas carols no matter the language.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I think the mother is over-reacting. She needs to realize that this is a country built by immigrants from all over the world, and any culture and their language is part of our american culture. I think its a good idea to teach kids the pledge in other languages. It teaches them an appreciation for other cultures and for people who might speak a different language but are still Americans. I think its important that every American knows the pledge and if they can recite it in English, great. If not, at least they can say it in their own language, and the importance and significance of those words is still the same. The pledge oh allegiance doesn't mean any less just because its said in a foreign language. I think this story just reinforces how intolerant many Americans are of people who don't fit into what we think Americans should be. Its sad.

• 9 years ago

I think the mother has a very valid point when she says, "There are poems, lyrics, and great writes that she could have chosen that emphasize the Spanish culture and to teach our children." Although, the school may validly argue that there is the Hispanic community forms a significant part of the demographic in the United States and thus can be considered contemporary culture given that there are many Hispanics who do swear allegiance to the United States. However, I suspect that they would teach aspects of traditional Spanish culture too in addition to the pledge of allegiance.

Therefore I believe the kid should have just done the assignment without the fanfare.

• REJJI
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

"How many real American are pleding allegiance to foreign countries?"

Saying the Pledge of Allegiance in spanish is not pleding to a foreign country, just simply reciting the words in another language. Would it have mattered if the student was taking French or German classes and he was asked to recite the pledge in these languages? No.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I dont care what language they are made to recite the Pledge in, as long as they do it (and dont exclude the part that says "one nation under God"). But Im also a firm believer in immigrants learning our language first before they are allowed to attend our "Free" schools at taxpayer expense!

Source(s): When they removed the Pledge of Allegiance from our schools our children began to lose the meaning of the word "respect"; respect for life, respect the rights of others, respect for the land, respect for our flag!
  • 9 years ago

I was curious to read about this so I did a Google search. The only sites I uncovered with references to this story were right-wing sites (like Fox News, which you cited). I don't doubt it's a true story, but political sites tend to leave out certain facts that might affect our view of the story.

There is a deliberate program in the Republican Party to instigate, encourage and exploit not just nativism and xenophobia but ALL forms of intolerance. At this point in our history, white people in the Southwest and far West are frightened of becoming minorities in their own states (here in California, whites are already a minority). Republicans posture anti-immigrant in hopes of exploiting this fear. But what exactly would these people be afraid of if they really believed, as they profess to believe, that minorities are not in an underprivileged position, that the rights of minorities are not threatened?

The Pledge of Allegiance in classrooms is like the Ten Commandments in courthouses--it is about 99% symbolic. Ask any 7 or 8 year old and he will be able to recite the pledge word-perfect. But then ask him what it actually MEANS and he will shrug his shoulders. Perhaps he'll mouth a few canned platitudes he's been taught, but he really doesn't understand those either, it's just the 'right answer' to the question.

Spanish-speaking Americans are Americans too, and they pledge allegiance (and OWE allegiance) to our flag just the same. Why it's a problem that Spanish-language students should learn the pledge in Spanish is completely beyond me. I was taught Christmas carols in Spanish and French, is that -blasphemy-? 8^P

• 9 years ago

Oh no! He's learning Spanish in a Spanish class! That's like learning Algebra in an Algebra class!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US, OBAMA?!?!?!?

Source(s): Get Over It: How to Stop Being a Paranoid Xenophobe by Not A. Dumb-Bigot
  • 9 years ago

That is RACISM, DISCRIMINATION, IGNORANCE, BIGOTISM, etc, etc,

Some people here in the usa react to Spanish with some kind of allergic reaction. We are in the XXI century !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.