Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 9 years ago

Can 'Clear blue plus' pregnancy tests give you a false negative?

My partner and I had unprotected sex on the 12th (meaning if I am pregnant I would be 5 weeks along now) and as of today I am 4 days late, getting cramps in my abdomen as well as having a slight stabbing pain in the lower - to the left side - of my abdomen earlier today. I have also had nausea (quite constantly for days including right now), diarrhoea, dizziness, sore breasts/nipples and some trouble sleeping which may be a result of the other symptoms. I took a clear blue plus pregnancy test last night and it came out negative but I still haven't come on and my other symptoms are persisting, so I was wondering whether there is a chance the test could have been wrong or whether I'm reading too much into everything that I'm causing the symptoms myself?

I chose clear blue because I was under the impression that they are the most accurate being such a branded name and it even says so on the box!

I hope someone can help me!

Update:

I will choose the best answer when I know for sure - new day now; still no sign of period but symptoms still well and truly present.

I'm pretty sure it isn't diabetes but I will check when I go to the Doctors next week.

Keep the answers coming!

Hoping for examples of personal experiences to help me.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

as far as i know a test can give a false negative but not a false positive. maybe your HGC levels are low, seeing that you took the test in the night.. try taking a test first thing in the morning..if you're still unsure go to your GP for peace of mind.

Source(s): 16 weeks pregnant with first
  • Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

those tests are pretty accurate in testing for early pregnancy before the period is due, but they work by a certain amount of HcG hitting the stick through your urine to become positive. Some woman don't produce as much of this hormone as others, some take longer for it to show up so there are always chances of testing too soon and not having enough hormone yet. If you've only had sex twice this month, chances of pregnancy aren't that high anyway. You should test again in about 5 days if you haven't gotten your period. By then if you are pregnant there should be plenty of hormone present to make a positive. good luck

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can 'Clear blue plus' pregnancy tests give you a false negative?

My partner and I had unprotected sex on the 12th (meaning if I am pregnant I would be 5 weeks along now) and as of today I am 4 days late, getting cramps in my abdomen as well as having a slight stabbing pain in the lower - to the left side - of my abdomen earlier today. I have also had nausea...

Source(s): 39 clear blue 39 pregnancy tests give false negative: https://shortly.im/55dlP
  • 9 years ago

It is possible for any hpt to give you a false negative because they aren't as sensitive as they should be. If you have low HCG levels it will not pick them up. Go to the doc and have a blood HCG test done and then you will know for sure, and you will also be able to talk to your doc about possible reasons you have skipped or are late if you aren't pg :) Good luck!

Source(s): Mom of 2
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

if you have already missed your period and your still getting negatives then it must be right. as your hormones would be high... maybe you are just late!! why dont you go doctors and have a blood test as maybe your HCG are not high enough... blood test will gve you the right result..

Im having the opposite of you and getting positives on clearblue but very thin lines!! there a nightmare! x

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Try again in a few days, my sister never got positive pregnancy tests with her children until she was 6 or 7 weeks gone.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): How Diabetes Go Away http://ReverseDiabetesToday.enle.info/?5597
  • rob d
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

check for diabetes, avoid sugar.

tests are easy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.