mechanical? or electrical engineering?

Can someone give me a little insight on these two, I'm about to go abroad to aussie under a scholarship thingy. What will I learn if I take mechanical eng? or electrical? how do the demands for these two contrast in the industry? If it is of any help, I'll go to Uni of Tasmania if I choose mechanical, and UNSW or uni of Wollongong if I take electrical. How is the living environment for international students in Australia? etc. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Mechanical Engineers study:

Statics: How are forces transmitted to and throughout a structure?

Dynamics: What are the velocities,accelerations and resulting forces for a system in motion?

Kinematics: How does a mechanism behave as it moves through its range of motion?

Strength of Materials: Is the component strong enough to support the loads? Is it stiff enough?

Materials Science: Which material has the optimum properties?

Thermodynamics : How does energy get converted to useful power? What are the losses?

Fluid Mechanics: What is the pressure drop due to the fluid flow? What are the aerodynamic drag forces?

Heat Transfer: How do you calculate heat transfer rates from temperature data? How do you predict the temperature distributions?

Manufacturing: What manufacturing processes do you select?

Machine Design: How do you synthesize all of the above?

Electrical Circuits: How do you integrate electronic controls into your design?

Laboratory Methods: How do you make and interpret both thermal and mechanical measurements?

Vibrations: How do you predict and control vibrations?

Engineering Economics: How do you estimate manufacturing costs?

Mechanical Engineers can take the following career paths:

Industry (the most common)

Graduate School

Entrepreneur/Business Owner

Research Labs

Military

Government

Preparation for other Professions (law, medicine, teaching, etc.)

Mechanical Engineers are engaged in the following activities:

Conceptual design

Analysis

Presentations and report writing

Multidisciplinary teamwork

Concurrent engineering

Benchmarking the competition

Project management

Prototyping

Testing

Measurements

Data Interpretation

Developmental design

Research

Work with suppliers

Sales

Consulting

Customer service

Skills that help Mechanical Engineers to be successful in their careers:

Problem solving (The essence of engineering!)

Creativity

Hands-on understanding

Networking

Leadership/conflict resolution

Knowledge management

Mechanical Engineering careers can have the following stages:

Early years - technical work most important

Middle years - project management and product expert knowledge (still technical) become more important.

Senior years - corporate, market, and global understanding become important.

Communication and team skills remain important throughout.

WHAT IS THIS JOB LIKE?

Electrical engineers design new and better electronics. They also test equipment and solve problems. A project starts by deciding what the new electronics will do. Then, the engineer designs the circuits and other parts of the electronics. Engineers might draw their designs using a computer.

Later, the engineers test their designs and make them better. Many projects don't work at first. The engineers have to figure out why and then fix them.

Electrical engineers work on many kinds of products. They might work on cars, robots, cell phone systems, the lighting and wiring in buildings, and radar and navigation systems.

Some examples of high-tech projects that electrical and electronics engineers work on are global positioning systems that can pinpoint a car's location, giant generators that can power entire cities, or a new design for an airplane's electrical system.

Engineers work in offices, labs, or industrial plants. Many work a normal 40-hour week. At times, they work longer to meet deadlines.

HOW DO YOU GET READY?

You need a college degree in engineering for almost all engineering jobs.

Getting into engineering school takes good grades in math and science. Students also need courses in English, social studies, and computers.

Engineers should be creative, curious, logical, and detail-oriented. They should also be able to work as part of a team.

HOW MUCH DOES THIS JOB PAY?

In May 2008, the average yearly wages of electrical engineers were $85,350. Electronics engineers earned an average of $88,670.

HOW MANY JOBS ARE THERE?

There were about 301,500 electrical and electronics engineers in 2008. Many worked for companies that make medical machines, communications equipment, or electronics.

WHAT ABOUT THE FUTURE?

Jobs for electrical engineers are expected to experience little or no change through 2018. There will be a need for more electronic devices like giant electric power generators or wireless phone transmitters, but electrical engineers will face competition from companies based in other countries.

Source(s): I hope this helps you I am an electrical engineer and make about $77,000 a year this my 4th year as an electrical engineer- You have to focus deeply and put your mind into thinking always. I studied Electrical Engineering at Stanford and that same year I got an MBA so basically i was 2 years ahead of my classmates at only 23 years old http://www.bls.gov/k12/math02.htm http://www.me.mtu.edu/admin/whatme.html