If you were in a library during an ice age and you had to burn books, would you burn religious books first?

I mean, they are the least value, right? Even the tacky romance novels have more beneficial information in them than religious books, right?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

I would start out by burning all of the identical copies of books.

I'd save the religious texts for quite a bit longer than extremely tacky romance novels or, say, books on some topic I am not even remotely interested in. (Like sports, for instance.) Because let's just face it: some of those religious books do, at the very least, contain good literature. You don't have to be religious or accept it as a literal truth in order to be able to enjoy it. Plus I personally find it interesting to learn more about what other people believe, considering how much it affects their worldview.

• 9 years ago

I think you'd need to assess what sort of warmth you'd get out of them first... keep the ones that would burn longest and brightest for the coldest months. You'd probably have to use the romances as kindling as bibles wouldn't be that good for that , although possibly those little leaflets the jehovahs' witnesses stick through the door would work? I did try burning a bible once but it was really really difficult to keep alight.

• 9 years ago

Nope, Twilight first, followed by any other garbage that will be useless. Then probably dictionaries. They are thick, most libraries have tons of them, and spelling isn't really going to be important at the time.

Holy books ca give you a great amount of information on people, times, mythology, cultures and beliefs. Many times they have been mixed with history so they are valuable in that way too.

• Mark T
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

There were no books if there actually was an ice age, was just a theory. Print started around 3.000 BC in Mesopotamia with the duplication of images. About 5,000 years ago.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I would burn Religious books first, but never the colorful bibles for children, they make great bedtime stories.

• 9 years ago

The obamacare healthcare law, that would keep you warm until the end of the ice age and nobody reads it anyways.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. We need those, believe it or not. We don't ever want to destroy history, unless we want to repeat it. Imagine we did burn all we could find, but there were still some out there. If we didn't keep them to explain to future generations, then they might stumble upon it and actually believe in it. And we don't want that to happen again, would we?

Source(s): Atheist.
  • odd
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I'd start with the sports trivia books first.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Do I have to wait for an ice age ?

• 9 years ago

Certainly, I would then continue with non-essential books like romance and other fairy-tale books

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.