Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

do you believe this crap? is this for real?

this sounds so evil. it's a baptist website and it had a page on how to beat your child.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0303/spanking.h...

Favorite Answer

That is sad and ridiculous. I'm with you.... it sounds so ridiculous that my first thought is that it is fake. For one thing, the little note under the picture about scientist finding the most sensitive spot on the child's bottom does not make sense. If the intent was the hurt the child the worst, why would the strike the bottom? The reason spanking the bottom originated was because of all the "extra" padding that is there. The point was never to seriously hurt the child.

I am a Christian, and I can tell you that beating a child is not Biblical at all. Yes it does say in the Bible, "Spare the rod, Spoil the Child." But the point is that children need discipline, not that they need beaten. I personally believe, and have found that most Christians I have met agree with me, that discipline should never leave a mark. In fact, I do not really see that corporal punishment is ever necessary. I will discipline my children, but I do not have to hurt them physically to do it.

• Lori T

It is not a real church, thank the Lord:

The Landover Baptist Church is a fictional Baptist church based in the fictional town of Freehold, Iowa. The Landover Baptist web site and its associated Landoverbaptist.net Forum are a satire of fundamentalist Christianity and the Religious Right in the United States.

Unfortunately, there are those who would actually follow and agree with their teaching!

You do realize that Landover Baptist is a spoof site, right? It is meant to demonstrate the lunacy that is Christianity.

That's a joke website, but I think it follows the Bible pretty closely.

• Steve

Amazing...I sure hope it's a spoof. Although the spanking thing, between consenting adults, is ...ahh, well, perhaps another time. Anyhoo, I added it to my "Religion & other crap" Bookmark tab in FireFox.

no, that isn't real.

basically its making fun of (among others) the Westboro Baptist Church. (which IS real, unfortunately) I would link their site but even their web address is offensive.

If you had studied the Bible and used a little common sense, you would see that it is a parody site, just like Jesus Wire.

No I don't believe it, because it's not for real.

It's a parody site. Poe's law strikes again.

Actually, I do believe that crap because I was raised in one of those types of churches.

wait till you read the one about wives lol

yes I believe it and worse... think I have seen them all now

nothing surprises me any more