can ear wax do this? please help!?

ive had a lot of pain on the right side of my face and i didnt no if it was my ear, jaw or teeth so i went the doctors and they have said its wax in my ear can wax cause soo much pain

• MeMD
    Favorite Answer

Hi Jenna,

Yes it can. It can also make you feel like you have a tooth/jaw ache even though you don't. Can also make the side of your face feel numb and "Squishy". It is wax, but also bacteria that can turn into an ear infection if left alone and not cleaned/removed.

Hopefully they gave you an ear lavage (Flushed your ear canals) if it was necessary. If not, you can get some over the counter drops that will break up/loosen and remove wax from your ear canal. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Be careful if/when you use Q-tips. Do not go deep into your ear with them pushing more and more wax causing it to compact. Use them only around your outer ear areas.

Every few months, I use a water-pik (The kind you would use for your teeth) to clean my ear canals out with because I have the same problem, and they start hurting. I use low pressure, warm water and a dash of peroxide in the basin. Gross, but big chunks come out and instantly feel better. This is pretty much the same as an ear lavage, they just use a syringe and force saline/water into your canal, and it all comes out into a small bowl.

Hope this helps, and get the drops or try what I said above.

Take care!

Syringing will usually clear wax. But, it will usually only work if the plug of wax has been softened. Therefore, use ear drops to soften wax 2-3 times a day for five days prior to syringing. Ear syringing is usually painless. Lukewarm water is squirted into the ear canal. This dislodges the softened plug which then falls out with the water.

I have had this before, It was very painful and on the odd occasion as massive pain would run through the side of my face, I could not even lightly touch my ear as it hurt so much. From the doctors I was given some ear drops, they hurt when they went down and made my eye water ( they weren't very nice )

but after about 4 days my ear got much better, as it cleared out the wax. If they have not already, ask them for some ear drops, or go to your local chemist. x

Why didn't they syringe your ears if you had a build up of wax?

Normally a doctor or practice nurse will syringe your ears in order to dissolve and remove the wax that is causing the problem. You can do this yourself at home but be very careful.

As you have a build up of ear wax, do not use a cotton bud to try and dig it out as you may force it in deeper.

Yeah It can-If you use cotton buds to clean your ears, you just push the wax further in to your ear causing an impaction. It can be really painful and cause ear infections. I had an ear infection not long ago. I was crying with the pain, so I can sympathize with you.

• Ya, i had a really blocked ear and the pain was immense. Use ear drops to soften the blockeage and get the Doc to flush it out. Youl be amazed by the lump of horrible gunk that comes out!!!And then youl know what its like to hear again!

Get on the face cant wash it off

• yes, if the doctor said so,you wold trust a doctor rather than a complete stranger on yahoo answers would you, so yes, id the doctor said it is, then yes it is.

:D have a nice day!

Use a corkscrew.