promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
JT asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

Ong Bak movies connection?

Not that I can really tell, but what is the connection between the three movies? I know the second and third are together but how to they relate to the first movie?

Update:

Fair enough I know what you mean but what is the significance of the Ong-Bak statue and what does it mean? I understand that in the third movie it was made but who is Ong-Bak and what does it all mean to begin the first?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The second movie ties in directly with the third, and it's in the third one that the Ong-Bak statue is carved - which then becomes the central point of the first movie.

EDIT:

AFAIK, it's simply the name of bestowed on the statue. In the first movie, the statue is shown to be sacred to Ting's village - and the loss of the statue's head even causes wells to dry up. But I don't really recall seeing anything refering to the history of the statue, what it actually represents - nor have I found anything online.

IMO, there is no real significance to the statue other than being a simple plot device to send the hero on an ***-kicking journey. Also, IMO, the first movie was more of a stunt demo showcasing Jaa's skills with a simplistic story to justify all the action. Not that I don't like it, but the plot and setting isn't Ong-Bak's strong points.

The setting for second and third movie seems to indicate that they simply wanted to try something new, while using the name Ong-Bak to draw interest, especially for the legions of Tony Jaa fans. And then they tried to justify the name by putting in the statue.

I guess the best way to describe it is that Ong-Bak 1 happened in the same universe as Ong-Bak 2 and 3, only in the future, and involves a relic first seen in the 3rd movie. A bit like the "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure"; it takes place in the same universe as the Star Wars movies, and involves a species first seen in the 3rd (or 6th if you count the prequels) movie.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Ong Bak 1

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.