JT asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

Ong Bak movies connection?

Not that I can really tell, but what is the connection between the three movies? I know the second and third are together but how to they relate to the first movie?

Fair enough I know what you mean but what is the significance of the Ong-Bak statue and what does it mean? I understand that in the third movie it was made but who is Ong-Bak and what does it all mean to begin the first?

Favorite Answer

The second movie ties in directly with the third, and it's in the third one that the Ong-Bak statue is carved - which then becomes the central point of the first movie.

EDIT:

AFAIK, it's simply the name of bestowed on the statue. In the first movie, the statue is shown to be sacred to Ting's village - and the loss of the statue's head even causes wells to dry up. But I don't really recall seeing anything refering to the history of the statue, what it actually represents - nor have I found anything online.

IMO, there is no real significance to the statue other than being a simple plot device to send the hero on an ***-kicking journey. Also, IMO, the first movie was more of a stunt demo showcasing Jaa's skills with a simplistic story to justify all the action. Not that I don't like it, but the plot and setting isn't Ong-Bak's strong points.

The setting for second and third movie seems to indicate that they simply wanted to try something new, while using the name Ong-Bak to draw interest, especially for the legions of Tony Jaa fans. And then they tried to justify the name by putting in the statue.

I guess the best way to describe it is that Ong-Bak 1 happened in the same universe as Ong-Bak 2 and 3, only in the future, and involves a relic first seen in the 3rd movie. A bit like the "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure"; it takes place in the same universe as the Star Wars movies, and involves a species first seen in the 3rd (or 6th if you count the prequels) movie.

Ong Bak 1