Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Specifications of Air Force One?

Does anyone know of any specifics about the plane, The Air Force One, the president flies in? I'm sure it has some awesomely crazy technology and defense systems. I know a lot of it is classified and unreleased to the public, but if you have any general information, let me know!

thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • jim
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really. "Air Force One" is a callsign. Whatever the President's flying, the callsign goes with him. This was one of the few accurate items in the movie "Air Force One". The military designation is VC-25. "V" for VIP and "C" for cargo/transport. It's a 747-200 with more powerful engines (higher gross weight) and more powerful generators for all the comms on board. It DOES have sufficient comms so the President can stay in continual contact with his Cabinet, Joint Chiefs, and the White House but these are fairly standard military systems modified for use on the jet. It THEORETICALLY is air-refuelable, but rarely includes that in a mission profile. AFA defensive systems-yes it has some and yes, the exact loadout is classified for obvious reasons but nothing overly sophisticated. There is no "pod", no ramp, and doesn't carry parachutes.

Source(s): retired LtCol. Worked Presidential support.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The plane gets priority in the sky. And on the ground. That's about the limit of my knowledge about it.

• 1 decade ago

Read and enjoy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.