Kiara
Kiara asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Pet Nutrition Specialist - help me make a decision?

I'm currently job hunting and came across a job for a Pet Nutrition Specialist.

I am very interested in canine nutrition - my dog is fed a raw diet based on the prey model.

I am reading books by Tom Lonsdale etc and finding them very interesting.

The job provides comprehensive training, so I would learn alot about something I am very interested in and passionate about.

Its only 4 hours a week on a saturday (so obviously I still need a Mon-Fri job) so it will only be as a hobby and maybe a way to earn extra cash.

The only problem I have is it with the Mars corporation... the ones that sell Pedigree, Whiskas and Royal Canin. All products I would never feed my dog. So the job would involve selling these products to people. In my honest opinion, kibble and canned food is only for a) pet owners who do not have the time, energy etc to invest in learning about raw feeding - raw feeding unfortunately isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't want to learn b) in case of emergency - i.e. back up stock if you accidently run out of meat or while travelling or c) for treats.

Soooo should I apply or not? I want to learn more about nutrition but I don't agree with the food they sell - then again I may learn the reasoning behind it.

Favorite Answer

I would take it just to get more information on the big corporate Pet food industry!!

You may not learn anything that you would actually "use" concerning your pets, but I think it would be interesting as hell, to find out how those money hungry pigs play the game! And who knows you might just learn something worth while, you never know!?!? Plus, they are going to pay you!

I say, GO FOR IT!!

My "dream" job, would be working for either a poor food company, to see what really goes on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure I could stomach it.... Or to work for a descent company who really cares about our pet's health!!! You must let us know what you decide!!! Good Luck!!!

Source(s): Dog owner 35+ years

Honestly, from the sounds of things you wouldn't be learning much by it.

Rather, you'd be fed a bunch of crap about how "corn is actually good for dogs" and then have to push these crap brands on uneducated people.

I turned down a job at a Pet Valu years ago because they wanted me to push Science Diet.

However, in your case you could at the very least use it for a point of interest on a resume for a more shall we say "educated" position in the nutrition field in the future

Why back a product you disagree with...

If it's just a "job"....go for it...

By the way, I feed Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul....& I'm neither a, b, or c.

ETA- The "reasoning behind it"...that would be #1 money. Not all kibble is bad....but I personally, would never want to convince people to buy those brands....for any reason, unless that is all they could afford & Royal Canin is too expensive for what it is...so you know their motive is money.

I don't agree with nibble and also feed raw to my dogs I wouldn't take the job if I would have to sell something I don't agree with to others especially when most people don't understand what they are feeding their dogs

-Find companies that hire nutritionist and job shadow someone -Find a college that offer's this degree -Just try to keep getting experience with horse's

• Camden

I think you answered this yourself. "No"