Border control between spain and gibraltar?

can anyone tell me if they check every car's trunk/boot when crossing over into Spain from Gibraltar

Favorite Answer

As a citizen of Gibraltar, I can tell you that it depends. If the Spanish customs get instructions from Madrid to create a block up of traffic in Gibraltar then 'Yes' they will check every car and moped and even ask for documents. If the Guardia civils have no instructions and they are in a good mood they will just allow cars to flow by( only stopping mainly Spanish cars )because they know that more Spanish nationals are more likely to go through with a minimum of 1 carton.

Gibraltar IS just like the United Kingdom only part of Europe (that's why the legal tender in Gibraltar is Sterling and not Euros).

We in Gibraltar have had to deal with border queues since the frontier re-opened back in 82.

• Pompal

There was someone on here just over a week ago who had his tobacco confiscated going back over the border into Spain. He stated that he had £200 worth. He was also fined 600 euros.

You will see, therefore, that it's not worth the risk as the Spanish Customs officers are well aware of what the attraction is to many people visiting Gibraltar. You are actually allowed just 200 cigarettes or 4x50gms packs of tobacco.

Why not purchase your tobacco in Spain where, although more expensive than Gibraltar, it's still much cheaper than the UK and you can safely bring back 3kg (6x10x50gms). Prices attached -

http://www.eurotabaco.net/prices_tobacco.php

I have just found this and it appears that things have changed

You are now allowed to drive your own car into Gibraltar, but on the way back, to pass Spanish customs and passport controls can take up to several hours, and it is extremely difficult to park in the overcrowded city of Gibraltar.

Another option is to park the car in La Linea and walk across the border. The typical red double-decker buses stops on the right hand side of the road when you have passed customs and takes you into the heart of Gibraltar: Main Street!

. The Spanish customs also controls the value of the goods that you bring back to Spain.

Don't know if it helps.

Some days they will check every car or individual travelling on a coach. Gib is in the EU, but the taxation laws are different, so you can only take out so much in duty free, ie 200 cigarettes.

I have friends who go twice a week and know the system, but if you hit the wrong day, you'll find it a difficult experience.

I live in Spain. I've been to Gib three times, but that was two times too much!!

The last time I went through they checked every car, motorbike and scooter, But a tip here is come back through with the legal amount, which is I believe the same as the old rate to bring in to the UK before the EU regulations.

PS As you know Gib is not in the EU and you could go in more than once in the same day

They check your ID and, if they consider it proper, then they check your trunk but not every car, just the ones they think might carry something not declared or illegal.

• Sal*UK

They always used to.

thankyou everyone for answering