How do I straighten a canvas frame?

I have an unpainted 18 x 24" stretched canvas and just noticed the wood frame (that it is stretched over) is warped. So if it is hung on the wall (unframed) one corner would stick up badly. Is there any way to fix this, or would framing it take care of the problem?

• Jay
    Best Answer

Check to see if the wedges are in the corners correctly. If they are then maybe the wood warped on you. You have two options buy another frame and transfer it to the new frame, by taking out the stapes and

re-staple it to the new frame or try framing it the way it is and see what happens, it may take out the bow.

Canvas Wood Frame

Wooden Frame For Canvas

There is a way to fix the frame temporarily while on the wall. I partially drive screws into the inside of the frame at points where the frame sticks out from the wall, then a nail or something similar pounded or drilled into the wall at the same point where the screws are located. I then wrap wire around the screw in the frame and loop the other end around the head of the nail or whatever it is I've put into the wall, pulling on the wire to close the gap between wall and frame. I finish by wrapping the wire around the nail and clipping the excess wire.

• Anne

If you mean a stretched canvas that's unframed, or have a thin frame and the actual stretchers are still accessible from the back, it's pretty simple. Get some masonite, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 in. thick, depending on size of painting- cut it to create 4 right triangles, with the squared corner, and attach w/ nails or staplegun to each of the back corners of the painting's stretchers, or wood support. Make sure to pull it to the correct square- clamping if necessary, or weighting it, before fastening corner pieces in place- May be helpful to have another pair of hands available to help.

• MOZ

You can't straighten warped frames.

All you can do is remove the canvas and re-frame it.

Since it is unpainted, it will be more economical to just buy a new one. Donate the warped one to charity, or remove the canvas and glue it to a masonite panel or use it for other craft projects.

• K8

I have had some warp on me over time. I put them in a new, solid, straight frame and it usually takes care of the problem.

I have done many paintings on warped stretcher bars, They only look bad while your painting on them. When their put into

frames, the strength of the frame will force it straight again.

extremely tough point. do a search using google. that could help!

stretch it out