Did my doctor's office send my bill to collections agency?

I was seen at my doctor's office on 7/1/2010 for nausea and vomiting. I have insurance, and paid what I believed my co-pay amount was. It wasn't until 10/30/10 that I received a bill from a collections agency for $10.00. I was able to call the collections agency first thing Monday morning to verify that... show more I was seen at my doctor's office on 7/1/2010 for nausea and vomiting. I have insurance, and paid what I believed my co-pay amount was. It wasn't until 10/30/10 that I received a bill from a collections agency for $10.00. I was able to call the collections agency first thing Monday morning to verify that this bill was for that particular date.

What confused me is that I never received a bill from my doctor's office concerning this matter. I am sure that they have my correct address and phone number. Did my doctor's office send me to collections too soon? Legally, is there a certain amount of times (or length of time) a medical office has to try to contact me before sending me to collections? This bill is only for $10.00. If this medical office is in the wrong, is this even worth fighting for or should I just pay it? Will it affect my credit score? Just what are my options?
Update: Caveat -- I plan to raise some hell. My blood has been boiling all weekend. I just want to make sure I have all the ammo I can get, if it's even worth it.