Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

Are there any famous rotc generals/admirals without any enlistment experience?

So far, the only famous ROTC general I've heard is Colin Powell. All, the other generals/admirals I've heard of have either graduated from the top military academies like West Point or Annapolis or they went to ROTC with enlistment experience. I mean all the 5 star generals went to the top military academies. Even General Pershing went to West Point. I asked this question because I'm planning to join either Navy or Army ROTC next year.

Also, are there some from OCS?

Favorite Answer

ROTC Generals:

General William E. "Kip" Ward Commander of the African Command

General James E. "Hoss" Cartwright, USMC, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

General James N. Mattis , USMC Commander Central Command

Admiral James Alexander "Sandy" Winnefeld Commander of NORAD

General Craig R. McKinley, USAF , Commander of the US National Guard

General George William Casey, Jr , Chief of Staff of the United States Army

General Peter W. Chiarelli , Vice Chief of Staff of the United States Army

General Carter F. Ham, USA , Commander US Army Europe * prior enlisted *

General James D. Thurman, USA , Commanding General, U.S. Army Forces Command

General Ann Elizabeth Dunwoody, USA , Commanding General, U.S. Army Materiel Command

General James F. Amos USMC , Commandant of the Marine Corps

General Joseph F. Dunford, Jr USMC , current Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps

General William M. Fraser III, USAF, Commander, Air Combat Command

General Claude Robert "Bob" Kehler, USAF , Commander, Air Force Space Command,

General Gary L. North, USAF , Commander, Pacific Air Forces

General Roger A. Brady, USAF , Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe

Thats 16 out of 40 General officer slots by ROTC graduates.

• Jer.L

Admiral Jeremy M. Boorda rose from E-1 to 0-9. He was the only person to ever accomplish that feat, despite starting out as a fraudulent enlistment (Lied about his age) and with no high school diploma when he joined. Went from the very bottom to the very top of the Navy, becoming the first CNO that did not attend the USNA.

I am not sure what it is that you mean by enlistment experience. You don't have experience as being enlisted unless you really are. ROTC is not an enlistment.

ROTC Officers make up about 70% of all new Officers and have since the 50s after WW2 when we maintained a large standing military. Before that after every war we downsized drastically and the only Officers that remained on active duty were the RA (regular Army Officers) which were West Pointers.

Among the General Officer ranks (in the Army) ROTC Officers make up about 50% with West Point providing the other 50%. In the Navy and Air Force the percentage of Academy grads in the Flag Officer ranks is MUCH higher in proportion to their overall population in the Officer Corps.

So yes...the "ring knocker" assistance society is still alive...but much less prevalent in the Army than the other branches.

99% of General Officers have NO enlisted experience.

Edit:

OCS graduates will make up VERY few Generals/Admirals. OCS only makes up about 6-10% of all Officers and almost all have 4+ years of enlisted experiencw which will set you back off the get go. I had 9 years as an enlisted Soldier, reching the rank of Staff Sergeant before being commissioned. based on that fact alone, no matter how excellent I am, I will retire as a Major, because I hit my maximum retention point before even being eligible for LT Col.

Edit 2:

Keep in mind that ANY new 2LT/Ensign only stands a 0.5% (1/2 of 1%) chance of ever making 1star Flag Officer (General/Admiral) rank. Heck you only stand a 5% chance of making Colonel. The VAST majority of Officers retire as LtCol (O-5)

Source(s): Me, an Army Officer, 21 years of service, 9 of those enlisted
  • Pete T

I knew Colin Powell back in Nam. The man was a total idiot.

There is a few

You can't be a teacher if yu were never a student