Statistics problem I can't even begin.?

A polling survey on Issue 15 on a local ballot revealed that 629 out of 985 likely voters supported the issue. Create a 95% confidence interval for the proportion of voters who support the issue. Can you determine from the interval if the vote is likely to pass? If you wish to construct a 99% confidence interval with a margin of error of 2%, how large a sample should be taken? I'm seriously panicking because this is only the first assignment and I have no idea how to even start. I have a fancy Ti 83 calculator and don't even know what to put into it.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I can get you started. Do not panic. It's just a puzzle to solve. Look at it as a game. Do you remember making a bell curve graph in class? The first thing you need to do us find the mean. Then you must find the standard deviation. You need a cheat sheet with important formulas. Here is an example that may help. http://homepages.wmich.edu/~bwagner/StatReview/Bin...

• 3 years ago

it is the assessment of two proportions share of ladies p(w) share of adult men p(m) the place the null hypothesis is that p(w) = p(m) and the alternative hypothesis is they are not equivalent We use z-scores for the obstacles that are z = plus or minus1.ninety six Given those numbers 38/a hundred women caught a chilly and 102/2 hundred adult men caught a chilly. The pooled share p(pooled) = (38 + 102)/(a hundred+3 hundred) one hundred forty/4 hundred = 0.35 the usually used errors SE is SE =sqrt(p(pooled)*(a million - p(pooled)*[(a million/a hundred)+(a million/2 hundred)]) SE = sqrt(0.35*0.sixty 5*[0.0.5]) SE = 0.058 to 3 decimal places The try fee is z(try) = [p(w) - p(m)]/SE z(try) = [0.38 - 0.51]/0.058 = -2.24 This exceeds the obstacles so the tip is to reject the null hypothesis and settle for the alternative that the possibilities are high different

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.