Statistics problem I can't even begin.?

A polling survey on Issue 15 on a local ballot revealed that 629 out of 985 likely voters supported the issue. Create a 95% confidence interval for the proportion of voters who support the issue. Can you determine from the interval if the vote is likely to pass? If you wish to construct a 99% confidence interval with a margin of error of 2%, how large a sample should be taken? I'm seriously panicking because this is only the first assignment and I have no idea how to even start. I have a fancy Ti 83 calculator and don't even know what to put into it.

Best Answer

I can get you started. Do not panic. It's just a puzzle to solve. Look at it as a game. Do you remember making a bell curve graph in class? The first thing you need to do us find the mean. Then you must find the standard deviation. You need a cheat sheet with important formulas. Here is an example that may help. http://homepages.wmich.edu/~bwagner/StatReview/Bin...

it is the assessment of two proportions share of ladies p(w) share of adult men p(m) the place the null hypothesis is that p(w) = p(m) and the alternative hypothesis is they are not equivalent We use z-scores for the obstacles that are z = plus or minus1.ninety six Given those numbers 38/a hundred women caught a chilly and 102/2 hundred adult men caught a chilly. The pooled share p(pooled) = (38 + 102)/(a hundred+3 hundred) one hundred forty/4 hundred = 0.35 the usually used errors SE is SE =sqrt(p(pooled)*(a million - p(pooled)*[(a million/a hundred)+(a million/2 hundred)]) SE = sqrt(0.35*0.sixty 5*[0.0.5]) SE = 0.058 to 3 decimal places The try fee is z(try) = [p(w) - p(m)]/SE z(try) = [0.38 - 0.51]/0.058 = -2.24 This exceeds the obstacles so the tip is to reject the null hypothesis and settle for the alternative that the possibilities are high different