Is it cheaper to make your own almond milk?

It's 3 dollars for a half gal at the store. I am not sure how much almonds cost.

• Favorite Answer

I'm gonna have to say no because a pack of almonds costs around 5-6 dollars a pound and you'd need about 2 cups of almonds to make a half gallon of homemade almond milk. There's about 3 1/2 cups of almonds in a pound. Some people take what's left, which is the almond pulp, and use it to make desserts and whatnot so it might be more worth your money if you don't let the pulp go to waste. The price difference isn't that great that it should stop anyone from making it.

I think I'd like making my own from time to time, as I really love almond milk, but making it all the time would be too much of a hassle in my opinion.

• keels

Cheap Almond Milk

They can be more expensive, it depends on the place and the type. You can get soy milk pretty much everywhere, ASDA, Tesco's, Sainsbury's. Pretty much every supermarket will have some, they usually have some in the chilled section near the cows milk. And they also have some ones which are similar to the UHT milk that would be in that section. They taste different, I'm not sure how to explain it. Some people don't like it very much, I think it's okay. It's hard to explain the taste though... However, there are obvious benefits for drinking non-cows milk, because of the cruelty that is involved in the milk producing business as well as not supporting this and the environmental damage that rearing cows for produce creates. So drinking soy milk is a better option really. You should just try some yourself, and try different brands and see which one's you like. But just check out your local supermarkets and you can find some.

It depends on the cost of almonds where you live. If you are only paying 3 dollar for half a gallon, this is very cheap to me. If I make it myself, my own almond milk will cost me about $4 for that half-gallon.

However, most of the commercial almond milks are filled with garbage. Cheap sugars and all kinds of texturizing agents to make their undercooked and diluted milk seem creamy and rich. Read your labels, because to me, seeing the texurizers is a dead give-away that you are buying swill.

Of course, some companies do make plain old nut-and-water almond milk. It is almost always much more than just $3 a half gallon.

I just made more almond milk. A 5 lb bag of almonds makes 16 cups of milk or 4 cups of water per 1 cup of almonds. I toss in a bit of salt, vanilla and dried date for sweetness. Last bag 5 lb. bag of almonds I bought was a little less than $5.

I find this question interesting, because I have been avoiding making my own almond milk. I assumed it was too expensive. Looking closer at it, the cost may be about equal, and it's fairly quick and easy.

For reference, the box of almond milk I have in my refrigerator (Blue Diamond brand, not organic) contains the following: purified water, almonds, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, soy lecithin, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, d-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin E).

Homemade would have just almonds and water, and maybe a little vanilla bean, if you like the flavor.

I may try to make my own this weekend.

• Esraa

No because its pretty expensive to buy raw almonds so it would cost a lot to make just half a gallon of almond milk...much cheaper to just buy the almond milk. It's pretty cheap anyway at trader joes.

• Karen

I agree with the poster who said it maybe not but for sure it's a lot healthier - making your own you know what has gone in it - no hidden ingredients.

What you put into your body is THE most important thing you do for yourself - and you should put in to your body the best you can afford - its more important than what you wear or where you live if you really think about it.

• Amanda

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avZoY

Soy milk is good, you can get it at Tesco any where from Tesco brand for .88p per litre, to £1.52 per litre for the chocolate soy milk. They don't carry almond milk but they do carry rice milk which is good too. I like the Rice Dreams Vanilla which is £1.21 per litre, the Rice Dreams Original is £1.38 per litre and Rice Dream Original with added calcium is £1.30 per litre. They also carry Oatly Organic oat milk for £1.32 per litre and Oatly Enriched oat milk for £1.25 per litre. I haven't tried oat milk so I can't tell you if I like it or not. Asda carries rice milk ranging from £1.00 per litre to £1.46 per litre. Asda only carries their own brand of soy milk and its from .63p to .88p per litre. You will find some of the soy milk in the milk section of the chiller cabinets, other soy milk and the rice and oat milk you will find on the long life shelf. Good luck in finding the milk sub that is right for you!!! Also, if you didn't like the milk try a different brand or type, or just keep trying it, you can grow to like it!!!! *Wink*

Unless you have a spare almond farm **** no.