Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Should i believe in God or not?Read details before you answer please.?

Well i am an Atheist but i was also born believing in God until 3 years ago when i started thinking about why should i believe in him.Well for one,i see on the news everyday children dying,people suffering,good people having bad things happening to them,etc.Well when i think like this,i ask myself "Why would God allow good people to suffer?"

On the other hand,if there are such things as exorcism,ouija boards being controlled by the dead,places being haunted by ghost,etc.

Well i am just so confused!I don't even know if that stuff is real cause i never encountered them.Another reason why i am confused is because there is more then one religious beliefs of different God's.

Like i said,I am confused and don't know what to believe!If i don't believe in God like i heard in the bible,i will go to Hell for eternity and i sure as hell don't want that to happen to me.What should i believe in?

Thanks Aeca

:)

Favorite Answer

First of all.There's a difference between being atheist and being non-religious.

I was never religious.Like.From day one.9 years old I thought it was odd that people were all arguing over what name to call god lol.

You're unsure.You're confused.Just roll with it.You can't force yourself to believe one way or another.

If you're looking for a definition i'd say agnostic or agnostic atheist.

Source(s): agnostic myself :P

Actually, truth be told you weren't born believing in God. Like everyone else, you were born agnostic, and learned your first spiritual beliefs from your parents and from society around you--and, later, from thinking things through for yourself.

Only you can decide what religious belief is right for you. Decide on the basis of what makes sense to you--don't let threats of Hell, or fuzzy emotional appeals, or any of that nonsense sway you. But don't think you have to choose between either Christianity or atheism--there are lots of alternatives. Look up other religions: Buddhism, Taoism, etc.--see what they have to say, and decide for yourself.

I do think you're right that the Problem of Evil is an insurmountable one for most forms of Christianity.

That other stuff about ghosts, ouija boards, etc. is false. Those things are caused by a whole slew of naturalistic oddities which are aided by the limitations of our minds and fallibility of our memories.

God allows suffering because of two reasons:

1) We bring it upon ourselves sometimes

2) Suffering allows us to be closer to Him.

But don't forget, there is a lot of good in the world too, so if someone thinks bad things are proof against, wouldn't goodness be proof for?

Anyway, you bringing up the supernatural is a good point. If you deny God, you pretty much deny anything supernatural and claim say that every recorded miracle/supernatural event is not true. Every. Single. One. Incorrupt bodies of saints are an example of a miracle, and if it IS supernatural, then there is evidence for a higher power, which makes believing in God much more plausible.

Besides things like the need for a first uncaused cause or other proofs for God's existence, you should think over the stuff I have written as a response. I hope it helps.

Well I can't tell you what you should believe in but I can tell you what I believe.

I believe that there is a God. To me it's obvious. There has to be a God. There has to be someone or some thing that created all of this. The world, you and me. There has to be an explanation to all of the things that can't be explained.

Science can only tell us so much.

I also believe in God because God has always been there for me. When there's no one there to talk to, I talk to God. Some people might say I'm talking to myself but I ask God for a lot of things (not material things) and God always helps me. It might not be the thing that I specifically asked for but he always pulls through. It's something that you have to experience for yourself.

My advice to you is to look for a church that you feel comfortable in, maybe a church that one of your good friends go to. And see for yourself. There's really nothing to lose and so much to gain. Even if you don't end up believing in God it will still be a good learning experience.

You're always gonna end up running into problems. And you're gonna have a lot of questions, like "why is there suffering?" And I wish I could answer that for you, but I believe that there is a reason for everything. And maybe you see all those bad things on tv cause you were meant to help out people who are in similar situations.

Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing.

:)

I hope that helped you out.

Source(s): life

To agree with another answer, you don't have to be part of a specific religion and/or believe everything it says. Believe what you think makes sense. Don't let others try to influence your decision. Decide what is important to you-different religions follow different customs and have a different idea of morality. Look at different religions and decide if you agree with what they say about morality and gods. This is your personal decision and it's an important one to make so you should think about it. Also things change, maybe you will change your mind.

"Another reason why i am confused is because there is more then one religious beliefs of different God's."

These are inventions of man (religions)... trying to give meaning to their existence . Only YOU know the answer... if you believe in God or not . Besides, you can believe in a higher being and not subscribe to any religion. You can just believe in God if you want. It's very personal and doesn't really involve friends, peers, family. People like to form gangs and cults to gain power of people, but you can take time to know God on your own and not follow all of the man-made rules and rituals (religion).

The truth is hard to know, so just follow your heart of hearts.

Good luck and it may take you a lifetime to find YOUR truth and not someone else's.

Source(s): constant existential crisis

That fact that you're wondering if you should "believe" in something is just silly. The act of "believe in god" is so ridiculous, because it literally means nothing, it means you just wanna believe in something, like kids and santa clause. i personally, know there is a god, it has been proven to me personally and so i can confidently say it is true to me. just live your life, wonder about god, ask questions about the world, the universe...ask BIG questions, and look for the answers (the answers are there for you), and you'll come the conclusion to whether god is there or not by yourself and no one will influence your thoughts on it.

Source(s): experience

Bad things happen to the world because of free will. Think about it: people are given the choice to do whatever they want, even if it's against God's will right?

So how can the world be good when it's full of bad people who are willing to do things against God?

And if God somehow forces the world to be right (which means removing criminals, gangsters, terrorists, mafia...) then that will destroy the whole meaning of free will right?

Also, you may wonder: what about natural disasters like cancer? Well, this is harder to explain, but have you ever think about what the world will be like WITHOUT cancer? Think about the population explosion! We're already in a population crisis where there is too many people on Earth. Our personal space is decreasing, our economy is crashing down due to limited resources, and people are going hungry because our agricultural output isn't enough to support the boom of human growth! So perhaps diseases like cancer is not so bad after all, if you think about it. It allows people to die, and the cycle goes on. I know this may sound harsh for those who have lost their loved ones to diseases (myself included actually), but the truth is, we do need ways to keep our population in check. a world where everybody lives over 100 is the day Earth no longer can support the human population

• Mike S

Well if you have even read any parts of the Bible...you will find out that God is not in charge of this World ...but the Devil is...why do you think there is so much Chaos and suffering....????

Religion acknowledges both the communal dimension of spirituality and the place of tradition in the spiritual journey. It provides a connection to the wisdom and richness of the spiritual experiences of those who have gone before. Religion enables the tradition to come alive within experience and it calls the faith community to apply the tradition to the needs and hopes of the present.