Average SSD lifespan?

I am about to take the dive and buy a new SSD boot drive for my machine...

I've seen loads of good and bad reviews on different products but when the reviews are good nearly nobody states how long they've used it, and the bad reviews usually say they die after about a month of use. Which leads me to believe that the good reviews could very well be just posted same day or within a week of use.

Anyone have a good site for me to check out some good reviews that include how long the drive has been actively used?

Also any suggestions on brand/model would be appreciated along with reasoning. At this point I'm leaning towards an OCZ Vertex 2 40g for the boot drive then another 60-90g down the road to store games if all goes well. The most comprehensive site I've seen for reviews on hardware is benchmarkreviews.com but I'm sure there are plenty better ones. I also use the customer reviews from TigerDirect and NewEgg as reference material as those are the two places I usually purchase from. Any input is greatly appreciated and I will definately pick a best answer!

Best Answer

SSD is still in its"infancy"...still a bit out of the main stream. They seem to work well with certain set-ups but not with others...still trying to figure it out. most reviews have not had there SSD over a year yet so your not going to get a "time". Considering the one you like has a 3 year warranty I would go with that! I too am looking at that one...MaximumPC tested it and gave it a high rating. EXACTLY how to set it up with what bios settings...trim...SMART...etc, or any special software seems to be hit or miss. Running in RAID is an even worse nightmare! I did notice that most of those that had no problems, built there own computer and a very recent build with the latest chip sets and bios.

• trip

Ssd Average Lifespan

Hi there pchelp :-)

The SSDs are typically rated at 1.5 and 2.0 million hours MTBF. So depending upon usage you should be able to get at least 100 years or more out of them if not more running 24 hours a day. This is what the manufacturers claim.

Then again, lots of HDD are rated at 1 million hours MTBF and they just don't seem to last that long. The SSD will certainly be more reliable than any HDD though.

So long as you have a good quality power supply and nothing in your system causes your drive to die, it should last a VERY long time. I do not have actual RMA stats though.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

5 years

Since SSDs have only been available for retail use for about 2 years, no one knows how long they will last. It's a gamble. For the cost, I wouldn't. You won't gain much by using a n SSD over a HDD.

Great boot drive and for games, 7 years, no moving parts to be destroyed, if kept cool and not abused ALOT longer

I've looked at many SSD..HDD..and I would use one in a Laptop..

..other than that..

There is really nothing to gain in the Home Network.