How do I tune my guitar to E G D E A D?

I want to learn Bach Prelude to Cello Suite no 1. I have the tabs, but you have to tune your guitar to E G D E A D. How do I do this?? Please help! Points for best answer!! Thanks

Favorite Answer

if you don't have an electrical tuner then you have to use your ear. If you have a piano or keyboard you can play the notes on there and then tune that way. If not here's how I'd do it:

Assuming you're in E A D G B e standard tuning

1) Play the fifth string A and the second string B. turn the second string towards flat slowly while playing both strings repeatedly and quickly. Wait until you hear the same note from each string.

2) play the third string open G will turning the fifth string towards flat. Play them one after the one quickly while slowly turning the knob down. Wait until you hear the same note from both strings then stop.

3) Then play the third string G, and either the first or sixth string open E. Turn the knob down on the third string towards flat, while repeatedly playing both strings over and over, like before, until you hear the same note, then stop.

4) Finally play the fourth string open D and the first string open E. Tune the first string down slowly while playing both repeatedly. Wait until they match. Then you're done.

It's important you do it in this order so that you can use the strings to tune the other strings. You could also play the note on a fret of another string but then you can't play and tune at the same time, which makes it easy to hear when they match.

Source(s): My experience with constantly changing from drop D to standard and back almost every song, without enough time to use a tuner.

I don't mean to be rude, but how are you going to play something like Bach's Prelude on the guitar if you don't even know where the individual notes on the guitar are to even tune the thing?

If you tune your guitar normally, you can adust from there. The 5th string will be tuned an octave lower than the 3rd string. You leave the 4th string alone. The third string is then tuned an octave lower than the 1st string to an "E". Still using the 1st string (which is still an "E") you can play an "A" (6th fret) and tune the 2nd string an octave below that. Now you have the 1st string (the E). You turn it into a D by tuning it to the 4th string (but an octave up).

The easiest way of course, is just find a piano and play the appropriate pitches.

• ?

As the other answerers have indicated, yes, that's basically how it goes. The notes will start low and will go up ( G, A, B, C, etc) until you reach the pitch you want, sure. As some of the other answerers have also indicated, some of the notes you are saying are accidentals... meaning that there are two names for the same note. That probably deserves a little more explanation. The normal notes we talk about are C D E F G A B. These are the white keys on a piano. There are notes inbetween some of those notes, though... the black keys on a piano. They are located in these places - C x D x E F x G x A x B C So C D E F G A B and 5 accidentals makes 12 notes - these are all of the notes we use in western music (also called the chromatic scale, btw). Depending on when and how we're using them, these "in between" notes can be called different things. For instance - the distance from B to C is a half-step (the distance of 1 fret on a guitar, for example, or when you move 1 key over on a piano), and if you go up a half-step from C you arrive at C#/Db. Which note we'll call it will depend on what key we're playing in, something we know by the key signature on a sheet of music. I don't want to get to far into it, but I would suggest googling "major scale", "transposition", and "key signature" for more information about the subject. I mostly replied, though, because I wanted to be that guy who shot down all of the people who gave the same answer... "... there's no such thing as B# or Cb ...." etc *Wrong* There absolutely is, they just aren't common. Let me give you some examples.... The progression of sharps is F C G D A E B... so that means if you happened to have a key signature with 7 sharps, the seventh sharp would mean B -> B#. Likewise, the progression of flats is B E A D G C F. So with a key signature of 6 flats, then that sixth flat would be C -> Cb. Uncommon? Absolutely. But completely acceptable from a theoretical standpoint. Of course, who wants to play a key sig of 6 or 7 accidentals? Blech. What about something that might be a little more common... What if you have a Db7? The notes of a Db dominant 7th chord are Db F Ab Cb. How about a G# major triad? That's G# B# D#. Well, there you go. If you need any more pointers, feel free to msg me. Saul

Is it really that difficult to figure out?

Standard tuning is EADGBE. The E and D strings are the same

From standard, match the 5th string to the 3rd fret of the E string.

Match the 3rd string to the 2nd fret of the 4th string.

Match the 2nd string to the 5th fret of the 3rd string.

Match the 1st string to the 5th fret of the 2nd string.

You should really learn the notes on the neck. It's not difficult to figure this stuff out yourself.

The 12 notes we have are A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb G G#/Ab A. It continues going around in a loop like that. If you know the 6th string is E, in standard tuning, then it's not hard to figure out that the 3rd fret is G (E F F# G, 0 1 2 3).

Buy a tuner? Ha, just joking. The normal tuning of a guitar is EADGBE: you'll need to lower the 5th string by one full note (i.e. two frets), the third string by one-and-a-half notes (three frets), and the second and first strings by (again) one note. There should be online tuners that, if you have a microphone, should do the trick for you, or at least some that can play the pitches for you while you find the correct note for each string. Hope this helps.

I'm assuming you're talking about starting at the 6th (top) string and working down. leave your top string alone, tune the next one down a whole step (two frets worth), leave the next string alone, tune the next string down 2 whole steps (four frets worth), tune the next string down a whole step, and tune the bottom string down a whole step. you might have to fine-tune it a bit because you're putting your guitar in a tuning it isn't used to, but that should do the trick.

Source(s): played guitar for 7 years

Do you have an electric tuner ?

If not its the answer ! Will get you there in less than a minute :)

im sure a music store would tell you. if you have a tuner (electric) you have to tune it to the notes you want

Source(s): i have guitar...duh

1

el mort? e.g. dead.