Replacing roll roofing with shingles?

The flat roof on a rental properties carport had a bad section of wood. It was rotten. I cut out, removed, and replaced a 48" x 32" piece of rotten plywood with a piece of good wood. I cut the roll roofing a couple of inches beyond the cut of the wood. Now I need to put some sort of asphalt roofing... show more The flat roof on a rental properties carport had a bad section of wood. It was rotten. I cut out, removed, and replaced a 48" x 32" piece of rotten plywood with a piece of good wood. I cut the roll roofing a couple of inches beyond the cut of the wood. Now I need to put some sort of asphalt roofing back on to replace the rectangular piece of roll roofing that I removed.

I have a bundle of plain white 3 tab shingles and a plenty of roofing felt, but no roll roofing. Could I cut the tabs off the plain white shingles and use the remaining pieces along with some lap compound to cover the wood in the hole that I fixed? Or should I break down and buy a full roll of roll roofing even though I'll probably never use it all?