? asked in SportsOlympics · 9 years ago

if an athlete is banned by the IOC, can he/she join other sporting events apart from the Olympics?

if.let's say m phelps was banned by the IOC, can he join FINA world aquatics or pan pacs? or if an asian athlete banned by the IOC, can he/she join commonwealth,or asian games or the SEA games?

Favorite Answer

IOC stands for International Olympic Committee, hence everything to do with the olympics.

Other competitions are organised by other committees so the rules don't apply to those completions. The athlete is clear to compete unless the governing body bans them for those competitions.

What normally happens: an athlete would appeal and financially cripple themselves to clear their nane, but human nature will allows view that athlete in a different light regardless of the circumstances.

Compete on a level ground and declare any drugs you are taking and you have no worries!

Source(s): level 1 & 2 Coach

Of course s/he can. S/he simply can't compete in any Olympic events or Olympic qualifying events. But the IOC doesn't govern ALL sporting events - they are governed by different groups. An athlete cannot compete in Commonwealth Games if they're not from a Commonwealth nation.

Normally each sports governing body determines eligibility.

So, an athlete banned from international swimming would be banned from the Olympics, the Olympics would not ban someone from competition.

• unick

whilst my mom only approximately died from a contaminated cyst in her mouth. i replaced into getting into my rebellious babies on the time, and replaced into very ungrateful. whilst my mom started speaking approximately something in her mouth, I surpassed over it and went directly to cling out with friends, stay after college, communicate on the telephone until the wee hours of the morning. Then sometime once I got here homestead from college, she wasn't there. Her suitable chum called and mentioned they have been interior the wellbeing facility. I remember taking the bus to the wellbeing facility and the whole time i replaced into questioning: how did this take place? How come I by no potential observed something previously? i began out crying on the bus because of the fact i found out how self absorbed i replaced into and by no potential as quickly as observed that something replaced into incorrect with my mom. whilst i ultimately reached the wellbeing facility, the docs counseled me that she replaced into close to to dying and necessary to be watched over. I committed my summer and the commencing up of my freshman 3 hundred and sixty 5 days of highschool to looking after her. the thought she would desire to go away me interior the blink of an eye fixed terrified my 14 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous techniques and that i knew i would not have every physique left interior the international if she replaced into long previous. And now, 4 years later i'm ever grateful to my mom. sure we consistently conflict over my grades, who I cling out with, what events i'm going to take part in college yet i'm consistently on the seem out for her. She has been supportive of me from the day i replaced into born and could consistently have my decrease back. Her close to journey with dying taught me how priceless existence is. I comprehend now that existence would be snatched remote from you in a 2d and that day I found out a useful lesson: do no longer take something with none attention and stay as much as you are able to.